Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Site Sponsor

Default IT Tech help

OK, I am not a computer wizard but I am sure there are a few out here. We had a virus hit our main computer (also acts as server) two weeks ago.

This virus popped up stating FBI warning, must pay to get re instated, blah, blah, blah. We have Mcaffee antivirus, and I assumed (oops) that my employee that always complains about it being slow, had shut it off. It was repaired, works great, didn't lose any info..i think.

All 5 of our computers have the same protection wizard on. I just walked back to our shipping computer to get a tracking and guess whats on there!!! Am I missing something? Is one virus company better than the rest? I pay for this protection on each computer, so whats up?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Personally ,
I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my server and our workstations on a day to day basis. What you have sounds like a malware issue which I would refer you to "Malwarebytes" software for that. You may need to get a tool or two to get rid of the malware problem, and if you are going to do this yourself I would recommend a site named "BleepingComputer.com".. There is a comprehensive forum there and the people are very willing to help.. If it seems like you are in over your head after trying all of this source a local It /repair company in your town I am sure there a few good ones around ..
]| DUAL SPORT ARMORY Suspension
]| Hampton Roads HVAC.com Contracting

"You mean I have to put oil on the gas too?"
" Where is Kutcher ?"
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

I second that. I use avast as my protection on silent mode and do a scan every couple months with malware bytes. Bleeping computer is a good resource and people will be able to offer advice if you are competent at driving a computer but unsure of the ins and outs of the operating system.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Here is what we use....it works really well;

Save these file to your Desktop ...

ComboFix - http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

MalwareBytes - http://download.bleepingcomputer.com...mbam-setup.exe

BOOT into Safe Mode (Tap F8 while booting ... Select Safe Mode WITH Networking)

Next run the COMBOFIX program by double clicking the file ...

After you start COMBOFIX there are a couple message you have to answer ... Answer YES to get the updates ....

Answer YES to all the messages "including" the RECOVERY CONSOLE ..

When it is done you will get a notepad open with a lot of gibberish ... Just close it then re-boot ...

When you are done with the COMBOFIX program then proceed with Malwarebytes ...

On the memory stick double click the MBAM-SETUP file to start the install ...

Take the defaults and just keep going to get it installed ... Next Next Next ... and so on ...

Once it installs it will do a quick check to update to the latest files ...

After it updates run a scan .. either the short or full ... The full will take longer but is more valuable ...

Once the scan is complete click the button to show results ....

While looking at the results click the button to fix all selected ...

When it completes it should ask you to restart, if it doesn't re-start anyway and see how it is doing ....

Good Luck!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Boy, I cause all kinds of problems, don't I? Your computer crashes the DAY I place an order, then it pops again when I ask for a tracking number. Sorry.

I found success with Malwarebytes as well as Spy Bot. I also use the MS Security Essentials. Understand that I am a home user. If you pay for a service, then you need to contact that provider. They should have a 24 hour line as most businesses run 24 hours a day and updates usually happen Friday 5 PM to Monday 5 AM.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 AM

I suspect Mark does not have the time to screw around with this. Find a local service with a good rep to help you out, and when cleaned up do a full backup. Anti virus and malware are only as good as the current database of threats and always one step behind. I've been hacked through all the major security software. If possible isolate your systems that access the web for general use from your core business system, and watch where you go!

If you can swing it, a Mac running a windows virtual machine to support your business apps, and everything else in OSx is a solid solution. I've seen a dentist office that does this. I've had ZERO issues with malware and viruses in OSx since I switched from PCs at home. Before that it was a constant battle fixing the family PCs including a couple complete rebuilds from a root kit attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM

McAfee and Norton are my last choice. They are resource hogs and expensive. I work for a software development company and we install Microsoft Security Essentials on all of the computers we install. If you are having problems with viruses, then likely someBODY at your office is the problem...going to sites that are virus-prone or clicking on links. If we have clients that have repeated virus problems, we install openDNS to restrict them from virus-prone websites.

The aforementioned tools are good for ridding yourself of the virus already present. If it were my home computer I would probably do a clean install of Windows after formatting the drive (back up your data of course).

Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Boot into "safe mode" and then...

...Another vote here for malwarebytes to squash this one. I used it to detangle a neighbors machine a while back...

For the machines that are used for mission critical business work - I would not do any web surfing on them.

As Glenn pointed out - another operating system might be a better choice. The GasGas Riders Club web server purchased with donations from the gang here is in "my garage". It runs Suse Linux along with other mature unix/linux apps - Apache, MySQL etc. Fast, light, secure and very reliable.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

No one solution is perfect. I use ESET at work and OpenDNS, but have still had issues on certain users computers. Why is it always the same ones? LOL

When I do have an issue Malwarebytes is incredibly useful in removing the infection. Sometimes there are specifically made removal tools for certain infections.

This sounds like what you have:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...ing-ransomware

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/fbi-ant...ning-moneypak/