Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:37 PM

Default Needles, needles, needles...

I've been doing a lot of reading on here about which needles are recommended. As elevations are a big factor, it's hard to narrow it down. I'm riding at sea level. 2012 EC300 Race model. Came with a 38p, 175 main, and JD red in clip 2. Plug looks a little too light. I put a 40p and a 180 main in. No noticeable difference. I moved the needle to position 3 and it burbled, so back to clip 2. For my riding, I think that the 07 RM needles are the ones I want. Which ones should I get though? I'm looking for something fairly rich as I ride at sea level. Thanx.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 AM

NEDW=smooth linear power
N3CH=Hard hit and mega mid-range power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2015, 12:27 PM

I just ordered the NEDW and a NEDK. Hopefully they put me in a good spot. Plug looks nicely tanned, except around the outer ring right before the threads. That apparently means that it's still a bit lean and I can occasionally hear a lean knock. I also ordered a 42 and a 45 pilot. The 45 is probably a bit too rich, but I'm not sure what I'll be getting into with these different needles. That red JD needle that's currently in there looks like a pencil. Not much of a taper.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Anyone ever try a N1JK needle? Just put one in and it was pretty dead down bottom, but exploded power all through the mids and highs. Like, wheelies in 6 gear with little effort! I think this needle may be out of a KX?. U guys think it may be too lean anywhere?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
NEDW=smooth linear power
N3CH=Hard hit and mega mid-range power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are these needles ideal for sea level?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

You are concerned of being lean and have bought a couple sizes larger on the pilot, but then purchases (and tried) a K diameter needle which is about 3 steps leaner than the JD red in the off idle to 1/8th throttle range.

Based on what you've been saying I would be going for something like an NECW and an NEDW. One size leaner in diameter than the JD, but gives you half clip variation between needles to fine tune the clip position.

Reading plugs is anyones guess with current variations in both fuels and lubricants. Adding to that just looking at a plug in general won't tell you much. You need to do plug chops at certain throttle positions. For a crude test, put an old plug in that's half fouled up and take it for a run. If it comes back with white ash on it you know you're lean - but realistically you should be able to feel this and have other symptoms show first.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You are concerned of being lean and have bought a couple sizes larger on the pilot, but then purchases (and tried) a K diameter needle which is about 3 steps leaner than the JD red in the off idle to 1/8th throttle range.

Based on what you've been saying I would be going for something like an NECW and an NEDW. One size leaner in diameter than the JD, but gives you half clip variation between needles to fine tune the clip position.

Reading plugs is anyones guess with current variations in both fuels and lubricants. Adding to that just looking at a plug in general won't tell you much. You need to do plug chops at certain throttle positions. For a crude test, put an old plug in that's half fouled up and take it for a run. If it comes back with white ash on it you know you're lean - but realistically you should be able to feel this and have other symptoms show first.
I'm not sure on which needles are leaner/richer. Lots of info on here about people trying different needles with different results. But nothing that says "this needle is richer than this one" etc. that's why I was asking which needles people could recommend to me for my elevation. Getting an answer saying to try a particular needle doesn't necessarily tell me which needle is richer/leaner.

I did order a NEDW, so I'll give that a go. I also ordered a NEDK. Which one would be richer of those 2? I've been pretty good at jetting my other smokers before with different mains and pilots, but never played with switching needles before.
Thanx.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14836
Old 06-22-2015, 06:24 PM

NEDW is fine for sea level. Probably in clip 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Great info on that link. Thanx J