Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Hey Bill,

Heal fast and buy boots! I just dropped coin on new SG10s today as I was afraid of that happening to me. I plan on being up there that weekend, my 6 yr old will make his pee wee debut on a PW50. We went to Grassy Knoll just to check it out last fall and like the NETRA kids program a lot better than ECEA. I hope and pray the kid likes it, then I have Cart Blanch! I'll stick around for the HS on Sunday. I have a big, off road pop-up, how's the camping?

Last edited by GMP; 02-19-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 PM

glenn do you remember when you went to that race? was it very dusty? I raced the grassy knoll on my IT in the vintage class,they cut us short because the dust was soooo bad! pretty sure they had two races at that location
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM

Last September, major dust bowl, but it was dry the week or so before. I didn't race, just took the kids up on Sat to see the peewee race. Even with the dust I liked the fact that the little kids are on the course with only other kids of similar ability and size bikes, unlike ECEA where they try to do everything in one day and the beginning 5 yr. olds on PW50s end up on the course with fast aggressive 9 yr olds on 65s, not good IMO.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Glenn - Glad to hear you'll be making the trek this way. The camping is, well, primative. I renamed out hare scramble the Black Fly for a reason. They're usually not too bad in mid-May, but don't leave home without the bug spray. Of course I'll be the one pulling what's left of my hair out.

We have probably the only NETRA Pee Wee track that is all trail. It's a pretty easy trail with only a couple rocks and almost no elevation change. Being that we're so far from the core of NETRA our Pee Wee scramble doesn't have a huge attendance. Those who do make the trek always say how well run it is and the kids like it because they're riding "real" trails.

Right now I'm trying to convince my other half to let me buy a pee wee bike for my oldest. He'll be 6 in March. So far I've managed to chisel her down from "no way in Hell" to "once he's 10" to "maybe when he's 7". He's already got all the gear except boots... and a bike.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I just got the green light to buy my soon to be 7y/o daughter a bike. It was easy once my daughter said over and over that all she wants is a dirt bike for her birthday. Mission accomplished. I have a nice used XR50 sitting in my basement waiting for her birthday...it should be a fun spring. Maybe we will have to check out some peewee events in the future.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 PM

My youngest that will race will actually be 6 in March as well. I'm working with him regularly, and he shows promise. He can deal with small rocks and any climb that the PW is capable of. If his attitude is good that day he should do well. My older son will be 9 in March too. He has a KLX110 but would rather play the common sports with his friends. It kills me that his best friend lives in a PERFECT location for riding but his Mom (one of my wife's friends) is a PIA that hates bikes and has the kid brainwashed. Dad is a, well, has no say. My wife is cool, no problem with the kids riding or racing, as she rides herself occasionally ('02 GG 250 Pampera). I used to be a big time shipwreck diver, and thats the one thing she won't encourage if the kids ask about it.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 PM

It's been a struggle. Back in college one of my wife's sorority sister lost part of her leg in a motorcycle crash. Add in those times she's hauled my butt to the ER and a summer of mowing the lawn after I had ACL replacement, left her with one of those "motorcycles are evil" attitudes. Fortunately she seems to be giving in. What's worked for me is people giving me equipment that their kids have outgrown. Plus I've stopped pressing the issue. Also one of her friends, who's kids ride, is working on her as well.

Of course the day she mentioned something about maybe getting the kids a little quad I almost blew a gasket.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:04 PM

I'm planning to get my three year old going on an OSET electric trials bike. I tout the benefits of no heat, no gas, no noise, no messy oil, etc. I can dial in the max speed too. I have a theory that it's the lack of sustained forward velocity (and gyroscopic reaction) which makes it difficult for a child to ride a pedal bike. So I'm hoping that a motorized bike will get Evan up and riding on his OSET before he gets proficient on a pedal bike. Fingers crossed (and bandages close at hand ).

Dale
Old 02-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Lightbulb snow enduro

I wish the dist-14 guys would put somthing on like this, looks like a lot of fun and what better way to keep the carb from gumming up. Don
Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2w View Post
I have a theory that it's the lack of sustained forward velocity (and gyroscopic reaction) which makes it difficult for a child to ride a pedal bike. So I'm hoping that a motorized bike will get Evan up and riding on his OSET before he gets proficient on a pedal bike.
True dat. Turns, etc. at slow speeds are tough on a bicycle if you don't have the foresight and strength to get the pedals in the right spot at the right time.
My daughter progressed much quicker on her Razor electric dirtbike. She's on a CRF70 now, and loving it.