Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Dropping some weight & increasing fitness

Well, the recent polls (average age of GG rider & diminishing vision) got me to thinking about my overall weight and fitness level at 41 years of age.

I have always carried a few extra pounds, even as a kid, but have always been in tip top shape. I played 3 sports all through high school and even played 3 years of small college basketball. I always hovered around the 175-180 lb. mark at 5'10", and played college ball at 165. After marriage I went up to 185 pretty quickly and over time got up to 200, although I still worked out and was very active. About 8 years into marriage and into my early 30's I went up to 220. I was less active and just got busy with teaching, coaching family. Then, I changed careers and became a firefighter. I dropped to 195 during my year of intensive firefighter training and was in the best shape of my life. Last week I stepped on the scale, after a long winter, very litte working out and lots of snacking, to find I am at an all time high of 235! Yikes. I still have not problem running 2-3 miles or doing any activities, including fire fighting or doing a 50+ mile ride, but I am just too heavy and need to make some serious changes before things get too out of hand.

My plan is to do what has always worked for me and to make some life-changes, not just loose weight. First off, I am committed to running. I have always run off and on over the years because it required no fee or gym and I could always fit in a run with my schedule. 4 years ago I dropped 25 lbs in 2 months by just running 4-5 days a week for 45 min. I have started a 1/2 marathon routine and am running about 20 miles a week.

Next, I am committed to not eating crap. I have always had a terrible sweet tooth and love to snack at night while watching TV. I have never been a fast food person and love fruits and veggies and we eat a well balanced diet at home and at the fire station, but I have always been a terrible snacker and pick pretty terrible choices for snacks like sweets and chips. I also dring a lot of diet coke. I am going to replace the junky snacks with things like fruit, almonds, etc. and begin drinking more water (crystal light) instead of the diet coke.

My goals are:

1) to get down to 200-205 by July/Aug and see how things feel. Ultimately, I would like the first number in my weight to start with a 1 instead of a 2.

2) become a runner. I want to tackle a 1/2 marathon this summer and try to do a marathon next year. I do hit the weights at work a couple of times a week and do a good a lot of stretching as well and will keep that up.

3) eat more heart healthy. Just become more aware of what I am eating, especially those snacks and diet coke.

4) do a long race (100 miler) this year and every year. Several opportunities in the NW for this with a variety of events.

I would love to hear from others who may be in the same boat or would like to join me in the challenge. I would also love to hear stories of other who have made similar changes or lost significant weight.