Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Default Changing to Gas Gas? Need Insight...

Looking at switching my son from KTM to Gas Gas but I know little about Gas Gas except what I have seen at the races and read about them. It appears that the Stuckeys are stepping off on the right foot, hence this peaked my interest in Gas Gas.

Looking online it appears that there is some aftermarket parts available but not everything such as oversized fuel tanks for the 2011 models. Also, parts prices do not look outrageous but are they readily available also? A little help in this area would be appreciated.

We are looking at either the 125 or 200. Any feedback on those?

Thank you in advance for your help...

Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Site Sponsor

I am a long time KTM rider/dealer and now ride a GG. The bikes are awesome to look at and even better to ride and with Clay working hard on getting the brand name out there, you will see alot more at races/rides in the next year. We are a new dealer also and this is what I have come to find out so far. Right know getting factory parts dosent seem to be very difficult but, there is not as much aftermarket support as KTM. With that said, several aftermarket companies have bikes and are currently working on getting new product out. I have not checked on larger fuel tanks but, if they are not available just give it another couple of months, they will be. As for the 125 and 200, it looks like they ship the Six days in November and the Race models in Janurary. Hope this helps some.

www.battlecreekpowersports.com
423-942-9056
Jasper, TN
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Hey Bulldog,

I cant give any feedback on the 125 or 200 although the 200 sounds like a great size bike and intrests me too.

I have an 08 ec300 ,love the bike . Haven't had any problem getting parts yet, But haven't needed many either.

Go fasters is a good source, but as dealers start appearing ,they may become just the parts importer at some point.

BTW Are you The Bulldog @ VCHSS ? If so I guess we'll a few new gassers next year.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Aftermarket support isn't huge, but factory parts are quick and easy to get. Some parts are expensive, some are not.

Coming from Husky's, the GG is a PITA to work on. Everything is compact and tight. Not a mechanic friendly bike. All those worries disappear as soon as you ride one though. I love the handling and power delivery. I've owned all the sizes except the 125. All have been good performers. I've ridden the 125, and liked it, but don't have a lot of time on it. I felt it was easily as strong asa new YZ, which I have ridden as well when considering bikes for the ISDE.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Site Sponsor

Default oversize tank

The frame geometry hasnt' changed since 2007 other than a new way of welding and a tubular style look to the new bikes. The clarke oversize tank should fit on the new bikes with one exception. Clarke designed two brackets to support to the frame (one on each side). It 2010 GG changed the coil from a horizontal layout to a vertical layout diminishing the room you have to place the oversize tank bracket under the frame. The left side no problem and really with the tank/seat combo, that right side bracket is not needed too much.

Safari also makes a larger oversize tank for the new GG's, althought we haven't tried it yet. This new importer guy over distributed too many bikes out of the first containers so we are waiting on a couple bikes for R & D, just in time for our snow! Its a good problem to have, one we haven't had yet...thanks Clay!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Bulldog;50605]Looking at switching my son from KTM to Gas Gas but I know little about Gas Gas except what I have seen at the races and read about them. It appears that the Stuckeys are stepping off on the right foot, hence this peaked my interest in Gas Gas.

Looking online it appears that there is some aftermarket parts available but not everything such as oversized fuel tanks for the 2011 models. Also, parts prices do not look outrageous but are they readily available also? A little help in this area would be appreciated.

We are looking at either the 125 or 200. Any feedback on those?

Thank you in advance for your help...[/QUOTE

Bulldog,
Thanks for the kind words.
I have sent bikes to Enduro Engineering, E Line and Bulletproof Designs to get more accessories built. I have asked the factory for a bigger tank and they are looking into it. I have also asked a tank manufacturer to build a bigger tank and they are interested but it looks to be a few months away.
We have some 125s coming in late November. We won't have 200s until late December.
Clay
Clay
Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
The frame geometry hasnt' changed since 2007 other than a new way of welding and a tubular style look to the new bikes. The clarke oversize tank should fit on the new bikes with one exception. Clarke designed two brackets to support to the frame (one on each side). It 2010 GG changed the coil from a horizontal layout to a vertical layout diminishing the room you have to place the oversize tank bracket under the frame. The left side no problem and really with the tank/seat combo, that right side bracket is not needed too much.

Safari also makes a larger oversize tank for the new GG's, althought we haven't tried it yet. This new importer guy over distributed too many bikes out of the first containers so we are waiting on a couple bikes for R & D, just in time for our snow! Its a good problem to have, one we haven't had yet...thanks Clay!
LOL!I've promised Mark three or four times that I would get a bike up to GF and then I sold it to a dealer! We have three containers coming in November and out of 138 bikes, only 10 are unsold to dealers. Mark....I did put an order for GF on my list for a XC300 and a XC250 e start. I promise I will send those to you!
Clay
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Clay , Rumor has it that you Will race @ Honaker and have a few bikes for people to ogle.

Sorry I wont be there to meet you And see the bikes.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstr6 View Post
Clay , Rumor has it that you Will race @ Honaker and have a few bikes for people to ogle.

Sorry I wont be there to meet you And see the bikes.
Yes. Mountain Suzuki in Rosedale, VA is a new dealer for us and they are putting the race on this weekend. It seemed like a good excuse to go to their dealership and then race. My wife fell for it, anyway!
Sorry you won't be there. It has been a real pleasure to put faces with a lot of the names on this site.
Clay
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM

I bought a 07 300 a little while back and I really didn't have any problems getting parts,skid plate,pipe guard,BRP triple clamp UBM,gutz tall seat,fastway footpegs,moose air filter,honda brake pads,Hall's sent me a number plate to replace headlight and every one of the parts were in stock.