Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Default 2011 300 Gas Gas Electric start

While the six days bike is being diagnosed would anyone like to see pics or ride reports on the new 2011 model with electric start. I have a 26 mile single track loop here at my house where I will be riding and setting up the suspension, I would be happy to share first hand knowledge of the bike. Should this be a seperate thread? I hear there are only a limited number that have been produced and available for the public to see.

2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki

Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreyghost View Post
While the six days bike is being diagnosed would anyone like to see pics or ride reports on the new 2011 model with electric start. I have a 26 mile single track loop here at my house where I will be riding and setting up the suspension, I would be happy to share first hand knowledge of the bike. Should this be a seperate thread? I hear there are only a limited number that have been produced and available for the public to see.
Ummm...YES! Post it up. Separate thread.

And please bring it by my house for me to ride.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
It will be good to finally get this one solved. After all the work, it might turn out to be something really odd like the flywheel keyslot milled in the wrong place in the crankshaft. If the ignition was always several degrees out, your power level would be way down.
Neil, That's funny I was thinking something like keyway milled wrong causing timing issue when I ran across your comment. As a mechanic these kinds of things are what eat your lunch but never twice. I once fixed a brand new Chevy truck that the camshaft slipped in the chuck during the profile grinding process so the valve timing got further off towards the rear of the motor.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Any Advice Please

Well the saga continues here with the six days bike. I thought the issue was fixed but the bike still runs poorly. Now the PV has been disassembled and reassembled new rings, squish band check, compression checked, leak down complete and the bike strugles to pull up to top end. The best way I can explain how the bike runs is it acts like the choke is engaged and can't rev above I guessing 5500rpm. I don't know this for sure because the tachometer has never worked on the bike since day one. I rode the bike this weekend, it seems as though its getting way to much gas. I got so pissed off I held it wide open at the reset and it seemed to run better for a few miles and then back to no top end. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me diagnose the problem before I start bashing gas gas. Oh by the way there was another guy on my row that was riding a 2010 EC 300 that would rip, I let him ride mine my bike, and he said the bike is sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Have you tried a different carb? I have a buddy who had an 08 KTM 300XCW that wouldnt run right no matter how it was jetted. We ended up pulling another buddys carb off and putting it on his and the problem suddenly went away. Both carbs were jetted the same the floats were set the same on both yet the bike ran like crap with one carb.

KTM ended up warrantying him a new carb and the bike has been perfect ever since.

Just a suggestion.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreyghost View Post
I rode the bike this weekend, it seems as though its getting way to much gas. I got so pissed off I held it wide open at the reset and it seemed to run better for a few miles and then back to no top end.
has the carb been replaced with a known good one?

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM

Default Huh?

I don't have a GG yet, but......
Holy crap- isn't there a point in which somebody (@ GG) just says "ok, this one's a bad egg- just give him a new one" The parts and labor alone must have cost more than a new bike!
Seemingly unsolvable problems always concern me.
And, at some point, you get to the "hey, I do this for fun, right?" Doesn't seem like this guy's having a great deal of fun.
Ran better after you got rid of all that excess fuel, I bet.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM

Im sorry i didnt see this thread earlier

My 09 300 had the same issue as your describing. Good bottom and a bitch to get it into the top end. Dave Fair at Gas Gas Pacific did most of the things you've tried , like carb , cdi , all sorts of jetting , reeds and even a carb from an 08. They were thinking power valve at this point and checked it out , it looked good. Back to square one or so we thought , the power valve idea just wouldn't go away. He talked to Gofasters , and i think they hadnt run into that problem , if i remember correctly. So next was the factory and eventually was in touch with the factory race team techs. they said Power valve , and they said i believe to slacken it off , give it more free play . How and what dave did and what exactly was done to it , i was told , but im and old man with a bad memory. Contact Dave or get your Dealer to contact Dave and he can explain what he was told to do and what they did. I do know one thing for sure , I got back a bike that i was happy with it and it ran very well after that. Not 100 % but in the high 90's for sure. My 06 was the best running 300 ive ever had , but my Nambo beats that puppy up now. Dave's web site is here

http://gasgaspacific.com/contact.php

This is the page with all the contact info

I know Dave well and he will be happy to take the call , he wants us all to ride a bike were happy with , and he didnt stop till i was happy

Maybe this will help

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve

Last edited by aflica; 09-08-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 PM

My question is why is the clutch side cover getting so hot?
Something might be binding or seizing up when more RPM's are added.
I think the motor needs to come apart...or at least the the right side cover off.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Time to give you a new motor and send this one back to Spain for evaluation IMO. Some funky QC problems seem to be cropping up lately.