Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-31-2023, 11:34 AM

Default Myths About Motorcycle Helmets and the Five Year Rule

This was posted on adventure rider forum. It was kinda interesting. Growing up a long time ago I remember the Bell Magazine Ad, "If you have a $10.00 head,wear a $10.00 helmet." I think I wore Bell helmets for 20 years before I switched to Shoei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sTvakw-mlI

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Old 01-01-2024, 01:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Meh. So his statement that all you need is a helmet that passes a std and they get no better is simply not true.

It is not to say that $ make the difference.

Snell and DOT unfortunately are outdated and examples of trying to do the right thing, but failing.

For road helmets I'd trust the UK Sharp testing more, just because it is decades newer and they have learned where the old stds create artificial tests, like the double pointy object test.

They have a 5 star rating rather than just a hurtle to pass clumping them all together and giving the impression that all the pass helmets are the same.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 01-02-2024, 01:29 PM
Administrator

How does sharp testing relate to ECE standards/testing?

I notice that many lower cost helmets here in the usa have both DOT and ECE rating.

It would be interesting to see something like an arai helmet and a fly helmet destructively tested - both ece and dot ralated.

jeff
Old 01-02-2024, 11:32 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I don't know the answer to that.
Arai road helmets didn't fair well in side impacts (I would have bet they were the best before). But I believe they have improved this aspect. The Japanese being engineer driven, but this is likely in response to testing adherence to the old stds without considering further perhaps.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 01-03-2024, 02:39 PM

After I broke my neck/back almost 5 years ago, and since I had plenty of time to read up , I did a lot of research on the different helmet standards.

I came away with the belief that the ECE standard was the best for me. SNELL was great for street bikes but those exact same testing standards were applied to dirt bike helmets which our crashes tend to be considerably different. This made helmets with the SNELL rating transfer too much energy to the head/brain in our typical crashes at much slower speeds.

About DOT, it's kind of funny but I came away with a much better appreciation of the DOT standard. It seemed to be way better than SNELL with our types of crashes. IMO, DOT would be considerably better than SNELL for most dirt bikers and I will choose it over SNELL any day. Matter of fact, the helmet that I credit with protecting my head from a more serious TBI when I broke my neck/back was a DOT rated Kali Shiva 2.0. Yes, I still ended up with a concussion but I have no permanent brain damage and I'm still able to ride dirt bikes! It was a very nasty crash, a head on with another rider, with an impact speed estimated above 45mph. I would have bought another one if the ventilation was better.

That all said, the ECE rated helmets, and I do mean ECE only and not the combo DOT/ECE rated ones, seemed to fall somewhere in the middle with a more real world testing regimen that required lower energy to be transferred to the user in the event of a crash. Plus, they tend to be way lighter than any of the DOT or DOT/ECE rated helmets which is important when you think about energy transfer in a crash. Another plus is that most ECE only rated helmets tend to have a smaller shell size than SNELL rated ones which helps reduce rotational energy transfer and, when combined with something like MIPS, can make a real difference in reducing your chance of serious injury.

Cheap versus expensive helmet makes no difference to me. I go purely by safety features, some comfort/use features, and the helmet's rating.

On the 5 year rule, I agree with it and follow it. I know it's different where I live than most places but the UV here destroys anything and everything it seems. Plastics become brittle and crumble rather quickly here. Plus, lots of adhesives are not UV stable so they begin to breakdown when exposed to it. Just as an example, this past Monday we saw a plastic clothes pin we missed collecting after our race last March. When trying to un-clip it from the tree it just crumbled away and it was brand new when put there. Plus, the foam liners start sacking out/showing significant wear about 5 years in so another good reason to replace as now the fitment of the helmet isn't what it should be and thereby reducing safety. I also ride a lot, as evidenced by my ride video topic, so I put a lot of hours on my helmets each year contributing to their wear and tear but I know that's not the case with all riders. The last good reason to replace your helmet at 5 years is... it's just cool to get new gear!

Ok, I'll shut up now. I can talk helmets and their ratings for hours!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 01-04-2024, 01:36 AM

Default Leatt

For the last few years I started wearing the Leatt helmets which have MIPS.They are very comfortable and seem to be very well made.Has anyone heard of WaveCel?

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar