Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Eric K.....Trials tyres?

G'day Eric, I was just wondering if you had anymore developments on which trials tyres are the best suited to enduro applications. I think from memory you were a big wrap for the Mittas is this still the case? I have heard from someone that the pierreli MT-43 is a lot better suited as it wont wallow or rip knobs off, have you had any experience with this tyre to validate that?

Cheers,
Splint.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 AM

Splint,

My favorite is still the Mitas trials tire. It has the best stability running low tire pressure at speed. It is the most durable compared to Michelin, IRC and Dunlop. I get about 900 miles on a Mitas before it starts losing knobs.

As a note, I weigh 270 geared up ready to ride. At times, I give my 70 lb son trail rides at a good pace.

Traction is excellent as long as the pressure is set appropriately. I typically run 6.5 psi. One time riding in about 8 inches of snow, I had to lower the tire pressure to about 5 psi in order to climb hills. That small change in pressure made a huge difference in traction.

When I asked about the Pirelli trials tire, it was not imported into the US.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:10 AM

Thanks for that Eric, a guy over here is saying that the Pirelli has a stronger construction than the others, doesnt really worry me as I'm still on the IRC that I bought in 04
Old 03-26-2007, 07:01 AM

The Mitas has thicker sidewalls and is very tough. Better suited for an off road bike but the trials guys I talk to do not like them on light trials bikes, makes perfect sense. Its also better suited for any rides that include longer high speed sections or long road sections. The Michelin and IRC are a bit stickier and have thinner sidewalls. They work a little better than the Mitas on wet technical obstacles but are prone to sidewall tears. I've torn the sides out of both Michelin and IRC tires on shzrp rocks while a Mitas lasted one and a half seasons. The Mitas also corners a bit more predictable due to the round profile. Like Eric I run 6.5 PSI with a Moose HD tube for rocky terrain. In a Michelin you would need to run 8.5 PSI for similar performance and flat resistance.

I never tried the Dunlop, but Rocky Mountain ATV has them for $68, which is a great price for any radiial trials tire. The Mitas at WER is $88.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The Mitas has thicker sidewalls and is very tough. Better suited for an off road bike but the trials guys I talk to do not like them on light trials bikes, makes perfect sense. Its also better suited for any rides that include longer high speed sections or long road sections. The Michelin and IRC are a bit stickier and have thinner sidewalls. They work a little better than the Mitas on wet technical obstacles but are prone to sidewall tears. I've torn the sides out of both Michelin and IRC tires on shzrp rocks while a Mitas lasted one and a half seasons. The Mitas also corners a bit more predictable due to the round profile. Like Eric I run 6.5 PSI with a Moose HD tube for rocky terrain. In a Michelin you would need to run 8.5 PSI for similar performance and flat resistance.

I never tried the Dunlop, but Rocky Mountain ATV has them for $68, which is a great price for any radiial trials tire. The Mitas at WER is $88.
Thats funny GMP, here the the Mittas is the cheapest of all the trials tyres that retails for $120 au and all the others seem to go for $180 au
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 AM

The Mitas always was cheapest here too. That Dunlop price surprised me, maybe its a mistake. The Mitas is good, go with it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 AM

The Dunlop is the lowest cost mail order. However, they are not very durable.

The latest Dirt Rider issue has a test of the Michelin, Dunlop, IRC and Pirelli trials tires. Even though they did not test a Mitas, the Pirelli sounds similar in performance to the Mitas.

Anyone know who is importing/selling Pirelli trials tires in the US?