Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

We have a half-dozen club members now going paleo and they all cite tbe "family" issue. A couple have their families partially on board. The rest are going "lone wolf" and doing what they have to do.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:21 PM

That would never happen in my house for several reasons, mainly my wife's intolerance to excessive fat after pancreatic cancer and life saving radical surgery. Plus, I just do not like to eat fatty stuff anymore. I mean I like an occasional burger, steak, etc, but to go out of the way for it no way. Actually after cutting down I find stuff like greasy bacon particularly unappealing. With the weather getting better, I'll be grilling a lot of Salmon.

Hey, glad its working for you but its only one way and I'm sure something else unconventional will come along like they have in the past.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM

I find that folks are doing well with individual customization.

Of the six new paleoz in our club (and a few outside), I don't know of any of them walking lock-step with PaleoHacks or Mark's Dailey Apple. They appear to be tailoring their diets to their own abilities while dropping processed foods and irritating grains specifically and other things as they find suitable replacements.

There is really nothing "unconventional" about the diet. Unless one considers the poor diets Americans have acquired over the last several decades to be "normal" and the concurrent rise in obesity and general morbidity to be part and parcel of that and of the order.

They have been taught to fear fat, when they are ingesting far too many things that have, and will continue to cause them harm as their physicians prescribe medicine to cure the ills brought on by the foods these same doctors insist that they eat.

Last edited by AZRickD; 03-13-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Meat fat and veggies have been the the diet of humans for up to 2 million years.
Agriculture has only be part of the human diet for less than 10,000 years.
The grains and other sugars are what's killing us.
Oh please don't give me the but we live longer now argument. Nursing homes are full of drugged up people from 60 year old and up, I would not call that living.
If you would like to watch a great movie, look for

In Search of the Perfect Human Diet.

If Paleo is a fad diet than it is the oldest one out there. lol
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
That would never happen in my house for several reasons, mainly my wife's intolerance to excessive fat after pancreatic cancer and life saving radical surgery. Plus, I just do not like to eat fatty stuff anymore. I mean I like an occasional burger, steak, etc, but to go out of the way for it no way. Actually after cutting down I find stuff like greasy bacon particularly unappealing. With the weather getting better, I'll be grilling a lot of Salmon.

Hey, glad its working for you but its only one way and I'm sure something else unconventional will come along like they have in the past.
I'm in the same boat. I can't stand bacon at all. In fact, it grosses me out. Pork in general for some reason. I never used to be that way.

80% Veggies sounds good to me. I do like steak and chicken though, so throw that in too. Sugar is bad. Unless it comes from fruit.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Ya gotta taylor it to your own abilities. Paleo doesn't have to be cookie-cutter (because cookies are baaaad).

I would advise against a lot of fruit. About half of the sugar from the typical fruit is from fructose which has to be processed in the liver. Fructose is also more likely to be comverted into fat.

You're probably better off getting them from starchy root veggies and all the other veggies you could eat each day.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I never thought of any fruit as being bad. Though I have found that they are a morning food. I used to go by a rule of no carbs after 2:00 p.m. Though more recently I have had a hard time being good with food. I guess I need some new enthusiasm for eating properly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 PM

I usually have the fructose equivalent of, say, one nanner and one apple -- and sometimes an actual nanner and apple. Both are probably on the mid to high end of fruits for fructose content.

I think the greater concern is the ubiquity of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) and that sexy agave stuff that is present in so many manufactured foof products.

Heck, get rid of those sources and a slice of water melon becomes trivial.

There is one area where fruit (and its one-two punch of fructose-glucose) could be beneficial ---> glycogen replenishment •after exercise•. "Could be."

In the case of glycogen depletion, fructose tends *not* to be converted to tri-glycerides. It tends toward glycogen replacement. And one study suggests this process *might* be faster with glucose and fructose together. I dunno. But it seems that fruit before or after moderately vigorous activity ain't a bad thing.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Mike, I remember that 2:00PM rule you mentioned awhile ago, TOUGH! I've done a good job of no carbs after dinner and that alone is a big help.

I'd like to know how many serious/professional endurance athletes have had success with this Paleo diet. Cyclists? Any pro motocrossers, off-road guys? Just wondering.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Here is some light reading for you guys.
Lots of MMA guys doing Paleo.
Paleo is just a word "Just Eat Real Food"
Learn to fuel your body on fat not carbs it is more natural.

Read this blog by Mark Sission it give you a small break down of a proper diet.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defin...#axzz2NXcjhfG9

BTW Mark Sission is 55 years old.

Paleo Athletes Here are just a few.http://primalpacs.com/blog/2013/02/p...etes-go-paleo/