Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM

I'll have to try that. I have both springs hooked up and if U don't pull it up by hand it bangs the side panel underneath quite loudly. Thanks.

'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 AM

Smile Finally did it!

I finally did the link mod and "fixed" my stand, hey .... it's only been a couple of years. One thing I may have done differently on my '05 FSE was to go to "Tractor Supply" and get some generic size 60 master links. They still have to be drilled out (I heated it to cherry red and let it air cool first) but since they use a much larger pin on the #60s it wasn't a real big step up and the extra length positioned the springs out just a bit more though they still rub the pivot bolt.

Bruce
Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 PM

thank you very much. i would never have thought of this myself, i probably would have just taken the spring off and made a cradle loop out of wire for it. so thanks for the tip! works like a charm.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Alternate fix

Like everyone else, I hate the auto retract. The chain link method is simple but the spring tends to crab as the stand pivots.

Stock dimensions of the spring eye to eye: up is 8.750", down is 10.625". The extra yank really contributes to the auto retract.

I wanted the new attachment point ahead of the stand's pivot point. I figured the original spring tab would be in the way so I ground it off the stock bracket.

I made up a piece that is held by the pivot bolt. A grooved button attaches to it, along with a pin on the back that can torque against the stock bracket. The idea is that if the pivot bolt loosens up, the spring can't pull things out of place.

On the first try I used an intermediate link to get a smooth pivot action. Not shown in the photo is the extra holes in the link as I played with different spring tensions.

While the operation was slick, there wasn't enough tension in the up position even with more spring preload. From this I could tell that I needed to move the spring anchor higher.

My next bracket had a top torque tab and a higher anchor point. This would not be as high as the chain link method, but still high enough to gain some extra leverage. The spring goes around the button now.

This worked out great. New dimensions of the installed spring: up is 9.625", down is 9.875". Lots of force in both directions and .750" less stretch on the spring when down. Really smooth operation.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Default the sidestand foot

I don't like the angle the bike leans over at with the stand down. Too far considering the tiny foot at the end. Setting it on different shims indicated that adding .750" would be about right. I put a 3/4" piece of PVC sheet under the stand and scribed the shape. Set the jigsaw to a 30* angle and cut the plastic. This flares the new foot out for more area. I left the straight side at 90* because it's close to the chain when up.

I drilled and tapped two M4 holes in the end of the stand, then bolted on the plastic piece and painted it silver. It looks odd but works well.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Loosen the bolt for the lower chain roller!

I think somebody else noted it, but the key to doing this fix is loosening the bolt for the lower chain roller. That bolt holds the kickstand bracket, loosening it allows you to get a straight-in line on the bolt.

The bolt securing my kickstand was srtipped on my brand new bike when I removed it. First time I've ever pulled out a stripped bolt from the factory on a brand new bike!

Easy to see how it happened though, given the awkward design. Ran a tap through it and figured out that loosening the lower chain roller made the entire job reasonable.

Some pics:

Oh ya, don't attempt this fix without a good spring puller on hand.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 PM

Still a pain in the ass anytime you need to take it off or put it back on I can change both tires on my bike in the time it takes to mess with the side stand
But now the 2012 look like it was done right? well see!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Picked my gas gas up today, went to move stand up with my hand as I usualy do.

45 mins later in casualty I find myself with a broken index finger. What stupid bit of kit!

@Ktmandy
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Has anyone devised a fix for the 2012's yet?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Chuck that stand off the 2012 in the garbage. Mine kept backing out...lots of use from helping my son start his bike after dumping it. Last time I was out I tightened it be fore I left and put it on its stand to help my son....i hear a snap and my bike hits the ground. Bolt snapped. Ill be using the trees for now on.
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)