Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Removal of e-start from 2014 XC300

My e-start has sh*t the bed for the 3rd and final time. I haven't opened
it up yet to see what failed yet, but I'm over it.

I actually got my best starts when I kick the bike, including the holeshot at the Ironman GNCC! So not a huge loss - now I want to remove the weight.

I assume there is a non e-start version of my bike that has a powervalve cover that does not have those 2 tall standoffs that the electric starter motor attaches to?
The other thing I need is a non-estart ignition cover for the left side of the motor.
Does the ring gear under the ignition cover serve any balancing purpose, or could I remove it as well?
Anything else I'm missing? Ah yes, the switch on the bars - gone!

Will be a nice weight savings.

Any other considerations?

Thanks!

'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63

Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Non e-start cover is a nice plastic jobbie. More weight savings. Throw a new gasket in of course.

Remove the battery. How far you go with the loom is up to you. Might find the bike breaths a bit better with some volume back in the airbox as well.

PV cover can be replaced easily. Changed from a finned grey version pre 14 to a black cover. Either will fit, or you could also go aftermarket with larger volume now that the starter motor won't be in the way.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 PM

Default What about the ring gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Non e-start cover is a nice plastic jobbie. More weight savings. Throw a new gasket in of course.

Remove the battery. How far you go with the loom is up to you. Might find the bike breaths a bit better with some volume back in the airbox as well.

PV cover can be replaced easily. Changed from a finned grey version pre 14 to a black cover. Either will fit, or you could also go aftermarket with larger volume now that the starter motor won't be in the way.
Hey Jakobi - thanks a lot - the aftermarket powervalve cover is a good idea.
I didn't realize I can remove the battery. I'm not that strong on the electrical side. I just got done removing my key assembly, and I had to connect the two power wires together. I guess that confuses me somewhat given that the battery would be gone. I already removed my headlight and disconnected the taillight, so I don't use the battery for anything.

Should I leave the ring gear on the bike (the large circular gear with teeth under the ignition cover that the bendix attaches to to start the bike), or can
I also remove it?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 PM

I can't answer for sure on the ring gear, but I would guess you can remove it.

The battery isn't necessary. You can remove it, the ground wire that runs to the starter, the starter solenoid that is also in the Airbox, and the power wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter. Beyond that, I doubt it would be worth digging further into the harness for more weight savings. But it's pretty easy to track the starter/battery wires down with the tank removed.

I'd be curious to hear how much the whole assembly weighs when you are done.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 AM

Great idea - I will set everything aside and weigh it when I'm done.
I'll also weigh the replacement pieces (new powervalve cover, ignition cover) to get a net difference.

Thanks for the info Shang.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:27 AM

I stripped all of the e-start gear off the bike yesterday as I was reassembling the head.

The total weight of the electric starter motor and its cover, the powervalve cover with standoffs, bendix, ignition cover, ring gear, battery and box, and the wires that run to the starter motor all weigh 7 lbs, 11 oz.

I put a Checkpoint Racing aluminum powervalve cover on as well as a standard ignition cover. Both of these weigh substantially less than the e-start versions.

It sounds like I can remove the solenoid and a bit more wiring.

Net weight savings is probably right at 7 lbs.

I wonder if the ring gear has any sort of flywheel affect, and if I will feel it when riding now that I've removed it?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 AM

Not much effect. It is not at the full diameter, nor is it particularily heavy.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
I stripped all of the e-start gear off the bike yesterday as I was reassembling the head.

The total weight of the electric starter motor and its cover, the powervalve cover with standoffs, bendix, ignition cover, ring gear, battery and box, and the wires that run to the starter motor all weigh 7 lbs, 11 oz.

I put a Checkpoint Racing aluminum powervalve cover on as well as a standard ignition cover. Both of these weigh substantially less than the e-start versions.

It sounds like I can remove the solenoid and a bit more wiring.

Net weight savings is probably right at 7 lbs.

I wonder if the ring gear has any sort of flywheel affect, and if I will feel it when riding now that I've removed it?
CombatYoga , my starter also destroyed itself and I'm thinking about stripping it all off as you have done.

Mine is a 2014 XC300r as well but I'm wondering how you managed to remove the battery? I've been told the 2014's CDI requires DC battery power to function. Did your bike still start with kickstart once you removed battery? Or did you have to make some further mods/changes to make it work?

Also did you notice any difference from removing the starter gear ring from the Flywheel?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 AM

Default Battery definitely not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestz View Post
CombatYoga , my starter also destroyed itself and I'm thinking about stripping it all off as you have done.

Mine is a 2014 XC300r as well but I'm wondering how you managed to remove the battery? I've been told the 2014's CDI requires DC battery power to function. Did your bike still start with kickstart once you removed battery? Or did you have to make some further mods/changes to make it work?

Also did you notice any difference from removing the starter gear ring from the Flywheel?
I don't think that is true about the CDI. My bike has run fine since I removed the battery. I followed Shang's advice above - battery, solenoid, obvious wiring.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 AM

Interesting that it works. The estart bike is shown as having the CDI powered by the battery (the single stator winding is not connected).

The kickstart bike has the single winding connected to the CDI with what looks to be a capacitor added to the circuit (no battery). This must work like the older bikes and maybe the capacitor isn't essential.

I guess it's a "try it and see if it works" situation (estart removal).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 estart.jpg (50.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 kickstart.jpg (118.3 KB, 20 views)