Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:13 PM

Default gday

gday fellow gasgas riders i'm new here, just bought a 06 ec 300 and i luv it i had a drz400 before that which was a good bike but after riding the gasgas you truly learn how a bike is supposed to handle.
anyhow, my fisrt question is reguarding the speedo ,it only comes on when the bike is running ,i want it to light up via a switch of some kind even when the bike isnt running ,also i will have to install a small battery somwhere ,i dont have to much problem doing this ,its an easy enough job ,but i was hoping sombody might have some suggestions
cheers

Old 08-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Is this the same unit that Service Honda sells?

http://www.servicehonda.com/speedo.html

If so, here's a link to the wiring diagram.

http://www.servicehonda.com/images/s...ram%203700.pdf
Old 08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in with the 'right answer' - but I think you need to replace the voltage regulator with a voltage regulator/rectifier to make your electrical system DC voltage. These are sold by trail tech here in the u.s. - www.trailtech.net.

Or you can look on ricky stator's website - they sell both an AC voltage regulator (what our bikes come with) and a regulator/rectifier. www.rickystator.com

If you only want battery power to your speedo/computer, then you might add a small battery pack and use a a diode to isolate it from the rest of the system.

jeff
Old 08-29-2006, 12:01 PM

The '07 GG wiring diagram shows only ac power feeding the speedo unit. The wiring diagram in the link above shows dc power as a feed. Possibly this unit works with both or maybe the GG item is an ac only version.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
If you only want battery power to your speedo/computer, then you might add a small battery pack and use a a diode to isolate it from the rest of the system.

jeff

cheers jeff thats exactly what i had planed, i am going to get rid of the horn and wire the battery and speedo to the horn switch ,so at a touch of a button the display will light up
Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Is this the same unit that Service Honda sells?

http://www.servicehonda.com/speedo.html

If so, here's a link to the wiring diagram.

http://www.servicehonda.com/images/s...ram%203700.pdf
cheers dave ,yes thats the same one
Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 PM

01 drz e to 06 gg 300 here.
I loved my drz but didn't like the weight!!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:45 AM

On the GG and similar bikes, the AC from the stator is referenced to ground through the motor/frame. For a DC system conversion, you either need to "float" the stator, so its isolated from ground, or isolate the DC ground from the frame. You cannot just simply bolt on and connect a regulator/rectifier and connect the DC ground to the frame. I beleive this is explained in detail on the Trailtech website. Its likely the GG speedo has its own internal rectifier that works in conjunction with the batteries, and the circuitry is isolated from ground.

The small AC voltage regulators on all the GGs are simply diode "clipping" devices, that limit peak voltages for an average equivalent approx. 12V DC so the bulbs survive. There is no rectification.

The small recifiers on the ECs and Pampera provide a unfiltered DC to power the horn and radiator fan. I do not beleive this is regulated either, as the fan and horn are not critical devices. Next time I have the Pampera fired up I'll through a meter on the system.

The more sophisicated rectifier/regulators, found on most DS and road bikes, are phase control devices, that use SCRs to switch the AC waveform on and off to acheive a regulated DC output.