Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 AM

Default Exhaust problem..

Hi, first of all hello to you all, ive joined the site as i have an old wreck of a 300 1998 EC that im trying to get it into some state of less embarrassment.

Basically ive swapped the old sliver chromed sub frame with a black 2000 one, swapped the tank and plastics and seat to, had to remove a small tag on frame and relocate coil for tank to fit...engine and gear box sound, had the magnum 45's serviced, new linkage and swingarm bearings, good to go....till i tried to fit a brand new DEP silencer that was on the bike originally with the 98 sub frame..it wont, although the subframes look similar geomatry, they cant be...can anyone confirm this, before i go spending out on a different silencer.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM

in fact, forget my last post....ive made the decision to strip and sell parts... my heart is not in the bike, and im going to try and get my money back on her...

ill create a new thread in the relevant section.....
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Why dont you just get some new brackets welded to the subframe tiltz , cant be that hard , be a shame to break it after all the time you spent on it
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Alright fella....

ive already made brackets up, but the amount of extra travel that creates pulls the exhausts apart.. the DEP rear can is the correct one, i checked it earlier and underneath is has EC 250 98-06 stamped on it...the problem is that it has brandnew Gnarly on the front, which i presume is for model without the Ohlins rear shock, the gas cylnder is to big, which in turn stops the front pipe from coming up and matching can...its proper cooked me, and ive lost all interest in the bike, there are some nice bits on it, engines is cracking, but ive no heart in it....ive ridden Steves and Scouses newer gassers, and they felt nice....but ive stripped this to the bone rebuilt it, and i just cant take to the early gas gas way of doing things, bit short sighted perhaps, but i cant change what i feel...
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM

I may be wrong but i wouldnt have thought the shock would stop it fitting , try asking in one of the technical sections of the forum , im sure someone will be able to answer your question .
One thing to note though , if your thinking of parting the bike on here is most the guys are in the good old usa.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 PM

oh, is there a UK gasser forum>
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Not that i know of , that front pipe is not bent is it , they are the same from 99 to 06 from what iv read , and nothing about a change for an ohlins shock , from all the pictures iv seen the pipe sits under the shock on all years
Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. Check the alignment of the front pipe. It can be pretty easy to tweak the header where it connects to the spigot and it throws everything out.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM

ive always been told to connect the header with springs and work back....which is how im working,

ill have one more look in the morning, ill disconnect springs and see if it ill go back together,,,,

Hi Jakobi, what can be tweeked on the spigot/head?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

The actual neck of the pipe can bend. The springs and head will connect to the spigot just like normal, but the rest of the pipe will sit incorretly. Use some heat and a long pipe in the head of the pipe and move it back where it needs to be.

Any photos?