Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez View Post
Mine stopped working again this weekend. Went from starting to nothing, not even a click. I'm thinking relay at this early stage.
Ok I dont think it's the relay, I had a spare to check that. How can I check the magic button on the bars?

Old 06-09-2021, 10:55 PM

Default 2018 ec300 starter stalling (engaging but fails to turn over the engine)

Title says it all. Just bought the bike. Welded Bendix, welded pinion, as3 cover by previous owner. No resistance at the starter shaft. I've been testing by hooking jumper cables from my running car directly to the starter to eliminate all cable/battery related problems.
I got two starters with the bike, neither worked, then I fried one of them. Bendix operates smoothly and engages every time.
Starter spins engine really well with the sparkplug out.
Bought an EBay 410w ktm starter that still hasn't been delivered.
I have two questions:
1. Anything else I can check?
2. Could the flywheel gear be off center slightly causing resistance only when the Bendix engages? I looked at it and it doesn't look off center.
EDIT: 3. Can the stator cover or Bendix cover have enough play to where it can cause the Bendix to bind to the flywheel gear if bolted in a position that pushes them too much towards each other?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewboktor View Post
Title says it all. Just bought the bike. Welded Bendix, welded pinion, as3 cover by previous owner. No resistance at the starter shaft. I've been testing by hooking jumper cables from my running car directly to the starter to eliminate all cable/battery related problems.
I got two starters with the bike, neither worked, then I fried one of them. Bendix operates smoothly and engages every time.
Starter spins engine really well with the sparkplug out.
Bought an EBay 410w ktm starter that still hasn't been delivered.
I have two questions:
1. Anything else I can check?
2. Could the flywheel gear be off center slightly causing resistance only when the Bendix engages? I looked at it and it doesn't look off center.
EDIT: 3. Can the stator cover or Bendix cover have enough play to where it can cause the Bendix to bind to the flywheel gear if bolted in a position that pushes them too much towards each other?
Thanks in advance.
I ran a test. Tried to jump from the car directly to the starter with the 4 cover bolts and the 3 Bendix cover bolts at less than finger tight. Starter still stalling. This test should allow both covers to move to the most comfortable position.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:32 AM

Only one thing I can think of: Is the bendix wedging in the cases at full extension? This means if you turn the bendix to fully open and measure the overall length, is this measurement greater than the available room?

The bendix is supposed to stop against the clip ring at full extension. If it pushes against the cases the load on the starter motor goes way up. This is based on the first generation starting system. The newer bikes may be different.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Only one thing I can think of: Is the bendix wedging in the cases at full extension? This means if you turn the bendix to fully open and measure the overall length, is this measurement greater than the available room?

The bendix is supposed to stop against the clip ring at full extension. If it pushes against the cases the load on the starter motor goes way up. This is based on the first generation starting system. The newer bikes may be different.
I thought about that. But there is no wear on the cover (Bendix should be pushing on it pretty hard). Also I took the magneto cover off but kept the Bendix cover on, extending the Bendix and spinning it by hand causes no binding.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez View Post
Ok I dont think it's the relay, I had a spare to check that. How can I check the magic button on the bars?
Try jumper cables from car battery to the starter terminals, work your way back from there.
Not getting a click would be button, relay, fuse, or very dead battery.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:29 PM

I rigged together a 24v system and it worked like a champ.
What this tells me is that the starter motor is just undersized for this bike.
I should be getting the 410w motor Saturday. Hope that helps
Old 06-11-2021, 03:08 PM

The $40 EBay 410w motor worked absolutely fantastic. I had to reverse rotation direction of the motor. It's a bit larger in diameter compared to the stock but the mounting holes etc. Are exactly the same. Works really well on the 12v battery now, starts cold just fine.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewboktor View Post
Try jumper cables from car battery to the starter terminals, work your way back from there.
Not getting a click would be button, relay, fuse, or very dead battery.
I'm getting the same, no click at the starter relay.
I have replaced the start button, relay, fuses & still no joy. It will sometimes work when I disconnect the low amp wires from the relay & reconnect but will usually stop working in less than an hour.
This leads me to think its a problem with the low amp wires that connect with the relay & connect to a common wiring loom.

GG EC 450, GG EC 250 08, KTM 525 EXC 06, KTM 400 EXC 01, XR400 97, VTR1000 98, VFR750 95, Husaberg FE400 96, RMX250 91, Maico 490 84, IT250J 81, RM250C2 79, Bultaco Alpina 250 77 - All sold
Old 06-14-2021, 06:33 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default starter

any info on the starter you bought off ebay ? I want to try. Thanks