Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Stiff clutch on an 03

Hey,,
I've been dealing with this for quite a while now,, My clutch is real stiff on my 03. Ive tried replacing the hose, springs, master and slaves, rebuilt the master and slave ,, polished the actuator rod, and swapped out baskets with my 97(which also has a stiff clutch). I did not realize how bad it was till I took GMP's 03 out last year. Its a major difference. I just updated a thread from a while back on talking smack if you'd want to read what else I did.
If anybody has any ideas let me have em..
Thanks,
Steve

Old 03-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I am not clear from your description - Did you also "dress" the fingers on the clutch basket? e.g. take a fine file and smooth the fingers where the clutch plates ride on the fingers of the clutch basket?

jeff
Old 04-01-2007, 11:04 AM

Jeff,

Steve's clutch has a real strange problem. Not a performance problem though, it just feels like it has very heavy springs in it.

Steve,

So, we have eliminated the master, slave, push rod, and springs, correct? Now I would look at the basket and pressure plate, but not the fingers. I'm thinking that maybe the basket posts or pressure plate is not machined correctly causing extra preload on the springs when the bolts are tightened down. Measure the dimmensions of these parts compared to the '97.

When I get the '07 (soon I hope ) I will immediately pull the clutch and shift mechanism to deburr/polish it. I will measure it then.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:44 PM

I might do that tonight,,
Hey what you doin saturday??
Old 04-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Probably finishing up a new kitchen counter install. Also may get the GG 125 motor back together if the crank arrives this week.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Alrighty,, Had the clutch out again, I'm getting good at pulling these apart. Does anybody have thier clutch apart as of now? Would love to get some pics/measurements. Also when putting the clutch together,, how hard do you have to push down on the springs to get the bolt to grab? also when tightening them down, do they sing? These get the "tink" sound when tightining them, definatly under a load. I relieved the pressure plate a little where the inner clutch post come thru, lots of casting edges making it rough, after cleaned up no difference,,
Next,,,
Steve
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Steve,

That doesn't sound normal. From what I remember all it takes is a little push and the bolt is in. I think I was right and you have a preload problem. But from what? Get the caliper out and start measuring things, like the pack thickness and basket depth. Ernie has his apart, but he is on vacation for a couple weeks.

My '07 is in the warehouse, hopefully have it in a week, depending on how the shipping works.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 PM

I'll have it apart sunday, I have a good mic at home too. I'll take pics of everything,,
Steve
Old 04-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Steve's clutch has a real strange problem. Not a performance problem though, it just feels like it has very heavy springs in it.
Maybe it does!
People get funny ideas sometimes about "uprated racing clutches".
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM

I bought a set of stockers to verify the right springs,, I should have it apart soon.
Steve