Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Default 2013 BreckTrek

There is a ride here in CO called Brecktrek put on by an ADV rider. It's a Dual Sport event, so we are all plated and OHV stickers as we do use the ATV trails.

It was 250 miles of there and back of mostly dirt. Needless to say I decided to take the GasGas and it did it just fine. There was one other guy on a KTM 2 stroke but most bikes were like KTM 525's, and DR's...my bro was on his XR650R, we had a few of those.

I played sweep, and behind me we put two guys that I would assign to flat tires and other issues or use them to run ahead and tell the lead that there was a bad wreck. And unfortunately we had a pretty bad get off, the guy cracked his helmet in the rear and did not know where he was, or how he got there or what day it was...so with a volunteer he got out and to the Hospital. So having the two guys behind me as sweep let the group keep moving. We were in a time crunch for Breckenridge, CO as we had a fancy all you can eat meal at Spencers setup...we warned them we be smelly and dirty and they thanked us for coming...huh and I always thought Breckenridge was total yuppieville.

So here is a little video I slapped together, being int he rear I did not get much and unfortunately I got none of the hard route back which a lot of people bailed on. Nothing like riding ATV trails at 9pm in the dark. So yeah the ride was from 7am and finished at 10pm. One flat tire, and one new Husky got a radiator hose leak from a bolt head rubbing on it (bad design Husky)....and then the one bad wreck. Otherwise it was the best year for this event, wetness so no dust except at Georgia Pass, and not that hot out...hope next year is as good.

Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/v8cTZJSrLow

Hungry Bear Start location in Woodland Park, CO

Georgia Pass

The husky and the fix that did not work:

Oh and I almost forgot old crazy guy claiming a county road as private....LOL At least he was made famous by me on Youtube...LOL
http://youtu.be/DGInmhxbpTw

Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Looks like it was a great time! What did you do for carrying oil and measuring it out? How many tanks did you have to mix up?
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknudsen View Post
Looks like it was a great time! What did you do for carrying oil and measuring it out? How many tanks did you have to mix up?
I used Pepto plastic containers they are 8 ounce and lockable tops. Get the generic as its the same bottle but $1.50 so pouring it out not a big waste.

I never went on reserve, even at the furthest of 70 miles. (stock tank)

I did have two 6L MSR Dromedary bags with fuel already mixed in Wolfman small saddle bags (my sub-frame already tweaked, which is another story and is being warrantied) so I figured oh well what is the worst it breaks...LOL Nope it held out fine. I used the extra fuel at last gas stop before the ATV trails for night time...much nicer not having the extra fuel on the bike. Both backs filled my tank. The MSR bags hold around 1.25 gallons each to be able to fit nicely into the saddle bags.

The pepto containers worked great at the other stops as I had them marked at 2 ounce's. And with a free app on the smartphone called Gas/Oil Mix Calculator I would pump, and for example one fill was .9 another was 1.9 and I get how many ounces of oil I would need and I would pour that in. A few miles down the road its all stared up...I had no issues.

Oh I mixed 3 tanks/fill ups. I stopped twice to Breckenridge and filled up once leaving for the 3rd and then used extra fuel at the last gas stop...so I could of did the trip with no extra fuel and just did one more mix for a 4th...but nice to have some extra with you on a long route. I'm impressed with fuel mileage. Maybe due to the APT Smartcarb :-) Which by the way worked out great too.