Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:12 AM

Default Will fixing this make it dangerous?

Had an off several weeks ago on day one of a two day ride. See video:

Fast forward to 6:20
The subframe was bent, real bent. Subframe got pushed down and to the left, silencer was almost lining up with the centre of the wheel. To fix it we laid it down and jumped on it, got it straight enough to see out the two days and all was well. Finally got round to pulling her all apart today, using heat and brute force we bent the subframe back into what is close to its usual position, plastics at least line up and install easily enough and it looks close to the naked eye so that is fine. But.....

There were already hairline cracks that are now a lot worse after straightening it. So will me getting it re-welded be ok, or is it too dangerous now its lost some of its original strength/rigidity?

I haven't priced a new subframe yet but if its not too much more then getting it repaired I'll just grab a new one.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 AM

Put the plastic on it and verify where and if you can have some triangle gussets added in the corners. It should be fine if you can add some gussets.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cut the entire brace off and weld it back in with no pre-loaded stress. Removing the tube will allow you to properly straighten the rest of the sub frame and evaluate the stresses introduced by the bending and straightening that occurred. As you mentioned there were previous cracks, they are still there but just where you can't see them. Cut it off, eliminate the current cracks, straighten the frame properly, and weld it up where it needs to be, not where it wants to be. It's not the most important part of the sub frame (not as critical), so it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, just adequate.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Ouch!
Nice job on the hill climb though.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. So would it be better to weld it all back up whilst on the bike or just straighten it til I'm happy then take it off and take it to the shop?. I can't weld for crap and certainly don't have the tools or skills to weld
Aluminium.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC