Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:21 AM

Default Drooping visors

Entered only my 2nd hare scrambles for the year - I have been taking a year off and enjoying myself on the MX track and goofing around. Anyway, I noticed a strange phenomenon that seems to happen at every H/S I go to in the midwest. At least one racer, usually in the C class will have their helmet visor hanging down an inch or more from everyone else. I always wondered how they look see down the trail far enough to carry good speed? Anybody else ever notice this, or is it just a Midwest thing? Some guys look like an old plowhorse with binders on. Anybody else run their visor low and if so, why?

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper

Old 09-02-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Drooping visors

Yes, I'm one of them. I drilled a hole 1/2" above the slot so I could drop it down some more. In the fall and winter the sun is so darn low in sky here that U are literally blinded when your riding towards it. Before I lowered it, I had to look way too far down to keep from being blinded. Very risky. And now I don't have that problem and can see way up ahead too. It might be different from helmet to helmet too. Maybe some are raised too much. I have a Fly carbon fiber/ Kevlar. Thanks, Bob P.S.- I don't race
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 09-11-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:02 PM

My brother in AZ has a sun shade on his visor called a "Baja shield" he said Malcom Smith also uses them. I guess we have enough trees to block the sun, but in the desert it's a problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:43 PM

I ride with my hjc in it's lowest stock position.Alwayshave, never gave it much thought. Good for keping the sun out of your eyes but mostly to prevent mud roost. and deflect face slappers. I don't race but can't say it's ever been an issue as far being able to see down the trail.