Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Grass Track Techniques.

We are expecting a record heat wave here in the Northwest - fire restrictions went up in all state forests today. So, heading up to the "coast range" here is out for me unless I want to ride around on the logging roads.

A friend has about 6 acres of grass - I have been teaching his 10 year old son to ride in this space along with another 12 year old boy. It is rolling terrain and relatively flat. I promised them I would bring out some stakes and some ribbon and set up a grass track for them and now that the woods are shut down I am thinking I will get some practice out there myself.

Anyone here consider them a "grass track expert". Any advice to go fast - yeah, I know to go smooth, but what line is preferred if a line hasn't really developed yet. Motocross in the mid 70s - I tended to stick to the inside - brake very late and hard, enter the turn wide and square up just around the apex of the corner and then go full throttle as soon as possible. What works for you?

thanks,
jeff

Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 PM

Seems to me like you have it down.

The most important part is to have fun. That is what the kids will find most important thing.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:34 AM

You would think that Iowa would have plenty of grass tracks wouldn't you? Well we have a few, and many hare scrambles put them in for variety and a place to pass. It is incredibly hard to pass riders of similar abilities on a grass track! The speeds are relatively high and you are already testing the limits (or it feels like you are), of traction and physics.

What works for me, and I'm no expert at these by any means, is to keep smooth flowing lines. You need to be watching ahead as well, and brake no more than what is necessary. Feather on your brakes, don't grab them. Tighter radius corners call for more lean angle of the bike and lots of weight on the outside peg. I watch the A/AA guys whenever I can, and they are keeping that motor in it's power-band as well, not bogging because the forgot to shift down one more gear in that tighter corner.

It is really hard and that's why a lot of riders don't practice it, because you are shuffling about 8 different dynamics of where your body is on the bike, the lean angle of you and the bike, your line thru the apex, gear selection, throttle position, front and rear brakes. No wonder good grass track riders are good riders overall. Throttle control is key, watch Mike Lafferty some time. He always has a roost coming from his tires, either on the brake or on the gas. It may be a tiny roost, but it is always there. When I'm doing a grass track as well as I can, I think it is how roadracing would feel. Subtle control inputs and a constant battle with centrifugal (centripetal?) force.

Let us all know what you learn about it Jeff, I think there is one universal fast grass track style, we all just have to let it come to us. Sort of a "feel the Force, Luke." thing. Very Zen.

Hawkeye

'13 Beta 300RR - race bike
'02 GG300XC - "Billie Baroo"
'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
'94 YZ200 - custom keeper
Old 09-01-2006, 04:07 AM

Well Jeff, have you gotten a chance to practice yet? Or has time behind the keyboard interfered with that plan?

Hawkeye

'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL
Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You nailed that one!

Actually, one reason I asked about grass track techniques is that I try not to take the same line as everyone else. Some are pulled to berms like they are magnetic.

I raced an XR250 for years and did quite well. I would try to maintain momentum by taking a "straighter line" and by not "going where everyone else has gone" but to pick the best line.

I think that sometimes my aversion to the "outside line and bermshot" has me going inside all the time. I need to just have my daughter time me and see what actually works. My experience is that what "feels fast" is sometimes the slowest alternative.

jeff
Old 09-02-2006, 05:44 AM

Jeff,

You raise a good point about taking different lines than what other riders have burned in. One thing I find myself messing up when racing with another rider on a grass track is the tendency to get in a drag race out of the corner. That leads to blowing the line into the next corner and losing momentum. One has to be patient and try to force the other rider into overcommitting.
20 years ago, I was at a race with a long grass track section. Sir Jeff Smith passed by on his Can Am, and just disappeared. He was so smooth it looked like he should have had two ski poles in his hand rather than handlebar grips. Really cool to watch a former World 500cc champion's form even 20 years after his race days.

'01 DR650
'02 GG 280 Pro
'06 YZ 250
'07 WR450
'00 TT125RL