Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:49 PM

Default spend $ on old or on new(er)?

So has anybody or do you know of anybody, spending a good amount of $ on an older bike even though they could get a newer bike with the same amount of $ they spent on fixing/updating the older bike? Why did you/they do it and how did you/they feel a year after? Any remorse about it?

Im thinking of putting about $3000-4000 into my 03 EC250, I actually have it up for sale on here. Bought it in June for $2800, have another $1000 into it with parts/service, tire, brakes, seat, etc. The motor is solid, all bearings for rims, suspension are great, no free play. Was looking at suspension work, Lectron carb, rotors/pads, chain/sprokets, mostly bolt on stuff, Mako 360, 18" rear rim, new power valve, plastics, clutch plates/basket, maybe paint frame.

I know i could get a newer bike, but kinda want to build something, something i'll probably keep a long time knowing i'll never see that $ back.

Thoughts?

Old 12-01-2021, 10:11 AM

I've done it. Once to a '90 KDX200 and again with a GasGas '05 DE250. Do I regret either? Nope! Loved every minute building them from the frame up and having them exactly like I wanted them. Plan on doing it yet again to my '98 KDX220 and my '11 GasGas EC250R. I'm currently collecting parts for the Gasser so hopefully not too much longer before it's done.

BTW, I finished building the '90 KDX200 back in July of 2012. Think about that... it was 22 years old already when it was done! Here's a couple of pics of each for inspiration...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4624 full.jpg (130.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4643.jpg (125.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg left.jpg (132.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg right.jpg (125.4 KB, 78 views)
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 12-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I was in a similar boat.

Turned 60 this year. Hadn't ridden dirt bikes much in the past 4 years despite living in Montana. Thought maybe a new bike would be a good thing. Not much inventory, but a TM dealer in Idaho Falls had some bikes. Looked at the TM 300 2-stroke fuel injected bike.

Nice, but I thought to myself that I'll just drop it in the rocks and wreck a nice piece of art.

Instead of buying that, I "invested" in my 2002 EC 300. Cylinder plated, new piston, etc., brake rotors, brake pads, brake lines, clutch line, tires, rear brake lever (had to fab my own mount), and re-did a footpeg mount repair which was beginning to fail after 10 years.

(Two years prior, i did the "Transformation kit" which adds 2010 plastic to the 2002 bike, and fabbed my own mount for a Showa steering damper. (BTW, that damper is fantastic.))

I also bought #8 and #9 slides, needles, and other brass to address the jetting in higher altitudes in MT. (Lived in Minnesota previous to here.) (#8 slide made a huge difference.)

Overall, the bike was sweet. Ran great. I was still faster than my brother on his new KTM 300 TPI, so i was happy. Until the black hills.

I rode the black hills with my brother and two buddies. The jetting was just a bit lean on the first day (3K feet instead of 5K feet), and my bike just didn't want to start. I'd crash (being faster than my brother doesn't mean i am fast or a a good rider - just faster than my brother.), and kick my brains out trying to start that thing when everyone else would push a button and be going.

I completely exhausted myself kicking that thing, and it was misery the rest of the week.

Tried to buy a Reiju, but no dealers had any.

the TM dealer in Idaho falls had a new 300 with the ohlins TTX shock, big tank, e-start, and six speed trans as a demo (5 hours) for $10K. Bought it.

Bike prices are nuts here, so i may sell the GG, but I also may keep it as a spare or "guest" bike. I've had the bike 15 years, and have a TON of spares, so i won't sell unless i can sell it for $3K.

Disclaimer: bought the TM in August, haven't ridden it. MT was in "exceptional drought" which meant no off-road riding, and then classes started, and i've been busier than ever. Maybe next spring i can report on the bike. It really is beautiful.

TM is sort of like legacy GG in tht i can call the distributor for info, order parts, etc. the only issue i had was finding a spark arrestor exhaust. TM in the US had Pro Circuit design and build a SA. NIce piece of kit, but it's LOUD. Damn. I took it apart thinking that it didn't' have packing, but it did. The packing was sparse, so I may ride it once, and if it's too loud, repack it.

I tried to have Pro Circuit sell me a longer housing for the SA so i could fit more packing and quiet it down, but they wouldn't. So, i am sort of stuck there. Other than that, when I took the bike apart to lube all the bearings, check fastener tightness, install the GPR damper, etc., it was all really well engineered.

That being said, if i cold have retrofit e-start on my GG, i would have not purchased the TM. Had I been able to buy a Reiju, i probably would have done that. But, my options were limited, i was sick of being the only guy with a kick starter, so i took the plunge.

We'll see.

Anyone looking for a 2002 EC 300 with all the tricks?
Old 12-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Funny how similar our bikes look alike.
Even down to the shroud decals and the gas cap.
Cheers, Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KDieX_2Strok-sm.jpg (125.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 03:39 PM

Nice job on the bikes SS109. Did you have to get into the motor at all or was most of the work on the Gasser bolt-on stuff and bearings? Suspension work? Wish my bike had a damn 18" rear on it. I'd have to get a rim and spokes and lace the thing with original hub.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It all depends on how worn everything is. Are the brakes worn in pin fitting and mc bore? Is carb worn? A 2015 could be significantly better in those areas. But still old enough to be significantly worse if ridden more or not maintained. Heck I own an 07, but changed out a few bits to keep it working well. It's only worth it because I kept it so long and lower seat height is important to me.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)

Last edited by (F5); 12-02-2021 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocalspode View Post
Funny how similar our bikes look alike.
Even down to the shroud decals and the gas cap.
Cheers, Jeff
You have good taste! That is freakin sweet! I bet that bike is a blast on the streets around town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike View Post
Nice job on the bikes SS109. Did you have to get into the motor at all or was most of the work on the Gasser bolt-on stuff and bearings? Suspension work? Wish my bike had a damn 18" rear on it. I'd have to get a rim and spokes and lace the thing with original hub.
Thank you! I completely rebuilt it including the engine. Cylinder was replated by Millenium, Wiseco forged piston, crank rebuilt with a Hot Rods rod by Cooksey Crank, all new bearings/bushings/seals/gaskets throughout the engine, all new suspension bearings throughout, soda blasted cases, repainted frame, etc., etc. So much invested. Sadly, it was stolen less than a year after completion and still hasn't been recovered.

An 18" GG wheel isn't too hard to find. I might even have a spare around here.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 12-02-2021, 09:37 AM

F5, I would either get a new Keihin from JD jetting or that new Lectron carb and be done. The bike had 3 owners, me being the 3rd. The Gasser dealer out here has known and worked on the bike since 08 and he has always told me "that bike is solid". Yes it needs mostly wear items, chain sprockets, rotors/pads, flush/replace all fluids, but nothing leaks on the bike. Ive had 2 people i dont know ride the bike and both were VERY impressed with the motor.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I've done it. Once to a '90 KDX200 and again with a GasGas '05 DE250. Do I regret either? Nope! Loved every minute building them from the frame up and having them exactly like I wanted them. Plan on doing it yet again to my '98 KDX220 and my '11 GasGas EC250R. I'm currently collecting parts for the Gasser so hopefully not too much longer before it's done.

BTW, I finished building the '90 KDX200 back in July of 2012. Think about that... it was 22 years old already when it was done! Here's a couple of pics of each for inspiration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
I was in a similar boat.

Turned 60 this year. Hadn't ridden dirt bikes much in the past 4 years despite living in Montana. Thought maybe a new bike would be a good thing. Not much inventory, but a TM dealer in Idaho Falls had some bikes. Looked at the TM 300 2-stroke fuel injected bike.

Nice, but I thought to myself that I'll just drop it in the rocks and wreck a nice piece of art.

Instead of buying that, I "invested" in my 2002 EC 300. Cylinder plated, new piston, etc., brake rotors, brake pads, brake lines, clutch line, tires, rear brake lever (had to fab my own mount), and re-did a footpeg mount repair which was beginning to fail after 10 years.

(Two years prior, i did the "Transformation kit" which adds 2010 plastic to the 2002 bike, and fabbed my own mount for a Showa steering damper. (BTW, that damper is fantastic.))

I also bought #8 and #9 slides, needles, and other brass to address the jetting in higher altitudes in MT. (Lived in Minnesota previous to here.) (#8 slide made a huge difference.)

Overall, the bike was sweet. Ran great. I was still faster than my brother on his new KTM 300 TPI, so i was happy. Until the black hills.

I rode the black hills with my brother and two buddies. The jetting was just a bit lean on the first day (3K feet instead of 5K feet), and my bike just didn't want to start. I'd crash (being faster than my brother doesn't mean i am fast or a a good rider - just faster than my brother.), and kick my brains out trying to start that thing when everyone else would push a button and be going.

I completely exhausted myself kicking that thing, and it was misery the rest of the week.

Tried to buy a Reiju, but no dealers had any.

the TM dealer in Idaho falls had a new 300 with the ohlins TTX shock, big tank, e-start, and six speed trans as a demo (5 hours) for $10K. Bought it.

Bike prices are nuts here, so i may sell the GG, but I also may keep it as a spare or "guest" bike. I've had the bike 15 years, and have a TON of spares, so i won't sell unless i can sell it for $3K.

Disclaimer: bought the TM in August, haven't ridden it. MT was in "exceptional drought" which meant no off-road riding, and then classes started, and i've been busier than ever. Maybe next spring i can report on the bike. It really is beautiful.

TM is sort of like legacy GG in tht i can call the distributor for info, order parts, etc. the only issue i had was finding a spark arrestor exhaust. TM in the US had Pro Circuit design and build a SA. NIce piece of kit, but it's LOUD. Damn. I took it apart thinking that it didn't' have packing, but it did. The packing was sparse, so I may ride it once, and if it's too loud, repack it.

I tried to have Pro Circuit sell me a longer housing for the SA so i could fit more packing and quiet it down, but they wouldn't. So, i am sort of stuck there. Other than that, when I took the bike apart to lube all the bearings, check fastener tightness, install the GPR damper, etc., it was all really well engineered.

That being said, if i cold have retrofit e-start on my GG, i would have not purchased the TM. Had I been able to buy a Reiju, i probably would have done that. But, my options were limited, i was sick of being the only guy with a kick starter, so i took the plunge.

We'll see.

Anyone looking for a 2002 EC 300 with all the tricks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
You have good taste! That is freakin sweet! I bet that bike is a blast on the streets around town.

Thank you! I completely rebuilt it including the engine. Cylinder was replated by Millenium, Wiseco forged piston, crank rebuilt with a Hot Rods rod by Cooksey Crank, all new bearings/bushings/seals/gaskets throughout the engine, all new suspension bearings throughout, soda blasted cases, repainted frame, etc., etc. So much invested. Sadly, it was stolen less than a year after completion and still hasn't been recovered.

An 18" GG wheel isn't too hard to find. I might even have a spare around here.
JEEEEEZ....that would be my nightmare, my wife would kill me if i put $ into the bike and it got stolen! lol. That sucks. 18" isnt TOO hard to find, but im very picky about stuff. The rims on the bike now are in awesome shape and look great. So if there was a rim with some pitting, i wouldnt use it. Even though its gonna get messed up riding in woods i at least wanna start with something nice
Old 12-02-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike View Post
JEEEEEZ....that would be my nightmare, my wife would kill me if i put $ into the bike and it got stolen! lol. That sucks. 18" isnt TOO hard to find, but im very picky about stuff. The rims on the bike now are in awesome shape and look great. So if there was a rim with some pitting, i wouldnt use it. Even though its gonna get messed up riding in woods i at least wanna start with something nice
Ha! My wife let me build the KDX in our living room as I had no garage at the time! Built my Gasser in a buddy's garage.

Don't get too caught up in looks. Those blue rims you see on the KDX I built using Warp9 rims, Warp9/Buchanan SS spokes, and factory Kawasaki hubs. Even soda blasted the hubs so they looked brand new. They literally started collecting scratches from the very first ride and to think I took such care to spoon on their first set of tires to not make a mark. While they are pretty scratched up now I still think they look pretty damn good for over eight years of hard riding on them in the rocky desert.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220