Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at the "big picture", this is a move foward.
GNCCs are popular 'cause there's no thinking involved. Oh wait, they have to think about fuel mileage.

Our club uses a parade permit to ride on 22 miles of public road.
Bikes do not have to be street legal in this case.
I'm sure we will come up with some "creative" wording to obtain the National Forest permit.

Our State Circuit enduros will remain the old school time keeping affairs.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:01 PM

Thumbs down Not good news!!!!!

There are many varieties of racing formats in which i love and have been fortunate to participate in over the years. I have been competing for 40 years from amateur to Pro status and now the Old Fart Masters A class. Only the man above knows how much longer I will be able to throw a leg across the seat but I will continue until my time is up. Enduro racing has and is still my favorite off road venue by far. Enduro's are UNIQUE, requiring exceptional riding skills, tremendous endurance combined with the mental aspect. In my mind there is no other form of racing that compares to the challenge of the timekeeping format. Nothing else comes close to the FUN FACTOR of using your brain all the while traversing 100 + miles of varied terrain. Take away the timekeeping element and its just like riding several short harescramble loops. I am glad to read Dave S comments regarding the Missouir Mudders take on this format. They are a group of hard core enduro supporters which I have known (some for many yars) and ridden with for many years. Changes are inevitable but let's not just let go of what Enduro racing is all about and wholesale our sport due to the economic pressures. Maybe there are other alternatives to introduce/recruit riders to the sport rather than selling out. For those that share the same passion I would encourage further discussion as to alternative solutions. Any comments???????????????????

Dave A
Master A
2005 GasGas 300
@002 GasGas 250
Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Here in oregon, they used to have an ISDE series and an off road series. One was european style format enduro - time schedule with 5 or 6 checks - minimum speed average between checks plus 3 or 4 special tests - you against the clock over a section of terrain. They still do a couple of ISDEs every year - but no series any longer. Washington state primarily does timekeeper enduros.

I like the euro style ISDE format for a couple of reasons...

1. It isn't boring - I start out with a few buddies on my minute and with a reasonable time schedule we get to chat for a few minutes before leaving each check (no penalty for being early)...

2. GNCC format where they mix classes is not safe... AA riders having to pass B riders left and right. Think of it from the AA rider's perspective, the B rider's are boulders that move, somewhat randomly...

3. I can get a friend to go out and ride an ISDE with me and learning "how it is done" is fairly easy...

The press release isn't too clear - seems like intentionally. It sounds to me like the AMA sees the GNCCs and WORCs series doing very well and wants to get into the game...

jeff
Old 07-31-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff
I posted this at www.nedirtbikes.com.

The sentiment is that it will kill enduros in New England. We just don't have the real estate to hold a closed course enduro.
First off, this won't kill NETRA enduros. This format is only being used for the AMA National Enduro Series. For a long time, NETRA ran independent of the AMA, and still does in some respects. NETRA uses New England Interval (Brand X) rules and promotes riders using a seperate format (there are a few NETRA "B" riders who already have their AMA "A" card).

This really only affects clubs who will promote AMA National Enduros. The last AMA National sanctioned in NETRA was by the KPTR in 2002 and attendance was very poor (I was on minute 43 out of 44 rows). The Rhody Rovers used to get a large number of riders when they held a Nat'l, but their enduro was also sanctioned through the ECEA.

I see both the good and the bad with this proposed format, but don't expect every district/organization to switch over to it either.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the latest from the AMA.
At least they have some heavy hitters spearheading the whole deal

[I]AMA PARTNERS WITH NEPG TO BRING ADDED MOMENTUM AND INTEREST TO ENDURO SERIES

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has announced a partnership with the National Enduro Promotions Group Inc. (NEPG) that will bring new ideas and greater excitement to the AMA/FMF National Enduro Series.

The NEPG is a group of Enduro enthusiasts whose sole purpose is to improve and promote the series. The organization will be gathering comments from riders, clubs, promoters, sponsors, fans and others who care about the sport to determine the best ways to bring new excitement, greater participation and enhanced accessibility to the AMA/FMF National Enduro Series.

Among the ideas already being considered by the NEPG are the use of closed-course events that will allow sponsors to have greater promotional opportunities; adding closed-course youth events that will bring the next generation of competitors into the sport; simplifying and improving timing and scoring; increasing the uniformity of events; and other improvements.

"We have seen impressive growth and popularity in many other forms of off-road motorcycle racing in recent years, and we want to bring that same excitement and momentum to the AMA/FMF National Enduro Series," said Alan Randt of the NEPG. "We have put together a committed and enthusiastic group of people who are going to do just that."

"The NEPG has the expertise and the enthusiasm to do great things for the sport of Enduro racing," said Chuck Weir, AMA Off-Road Racing Manager. "We encourage everyone in the Enduro community to support the NEPG's work to improve the sport."

The NEPG has assembled a board of directors along with an advisory board consisting of Enduro enthusiasts who will guide the organization's efforts in coordination with the AMA.

The American Motorcyclist Association: rights. riding. racing.

Founded in 1924, the AMA is a non-profit organization with more than 270,000 members. The Association`s purpose is to pursue, protect and promote the interests of motorcyclists, while serving the needs of its members. For more information, visit the AMA website at www.AMADirectlink.com, or call 1-800-AMA-JOIN.

The NEPG is a group of industry professionals including manufacturers, riders and promoters/clubs who are dedicated to building the American Enduro Series. The NEPG Advisory Board will be made up of Enduro riders and off-road clubs and their terms will be limited to two years so that it will always represent the rider’s point of view. The AMA retains ultimate control and veto power over the National Enduro Series. The NEPG is the PR or promotion partner charged with adding value to the series for the riders and sponsors. Sponsors will give the NEPG and the AMA the tools to increase visibility and offer an event and series purse.

The confirmed members of the NEPG are:
Board Members:
President
AMA
FMF
KTM
Randy Hawkins (rider rep)
Steve Wheeler (club rep) New Staightsville Enduro Riders

Advisory Board:
Kevin Hines (1987 national enduro champion) MA
Allen Gravitt (former SETRA champion) GA,
Matt Stavish (national enduro competitor) MN
Mark Hyde (former national H.S. champion) OH
Dave Crain (Perry Mountain comp. club) AL

I wanted to take a moment to explain why we are making some changes to the National Enduro Series and clarify those changes since the web forum crawlers seem to have read something different from what was in the above press release.

The changes are small and it will still be an American Enduro, we are not adopting FIM rules. We need to be realistic here and look at what is happening to the American Enduro. Rider participation has been steadily declining for the past decade and as far as I can tell there has been nothing done to turn the tide. At this rate in 10 years we may only have a dozen riders show up to ride and they would be in the Senior and Masters classes. We are talking about some changes to modernize the National Enduro to keep pace with the American rider’s tastes. It is an evolution, not a revolution and these changes only apply to the AMA/FMF National Enduro Series. Your local or regional enduro’s can still be run in the traditional Enduro format.

The primary change is to use start controls for the National Enduro Series. It seems that there is some confusion of what a start control is.

There is a BIG difference between FIM/qualifier format and the start control format that is being proposed. As most of you know, a qualifier format adds up the total of all the special test scores in minutes and seconds to give you a total at the end of the day. You can also obtain penalty points (minutes) for a variety of things. There is anywhere from 5-10 special test throughout the day to give you your total score. These special tests are usually short and last for just a few minutes.

A restart format utilizes AMA Enduro rules with one small change. Typically an "American Enduro" consists of points taking sections that last anywhere from 3.2 to 20+ miles. Most of the time there is an "in-check" at the beginning of that section. You can usually tell where it is going to be because there are anywhere from five to 25 riders parked out of eyesight just before the check waiting for their time so they can roll into the check at the beginning of their minute. A restart format would allow those riders to ride the extra tenth of a mile into the check, be scored and wait for their number to flip and then motor on. Restart formats also use "transfer sections" to get you from one "points taking" section to another. These are essentially "free time" sections in which there cannot be a check. Other than that, you have an "American Enduro."

Closed Course, this has sparked many interpretations, some being creative. The intent here is to allow someone with a MX bike to compete with the addition of a spark arrestor and to allow youth (read unlicensed) riders to compete on the same course (shortened) as the adult riders. We are looking at a shortened ground mileage to 65 miles vs. 85 miles for the Nationals to make it easier for the clubs to host an event. A course loop may only be covered twice in one day, this is not a Hare Scramble. This is still a timed event so you can still use BLM and US Forest lands and comply with their rules. You can use land that does not belong to the club (as long as you get permission). NOTHING HAS CHANGED! There will NOT be any ATV’s in the National Enduro Series. If we must use public roads, we should look into a parade permit or something similar to that to transfer unlicensed bikes and riders from one section to another. We want to encourage the OEM’s (Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and hopefully Honda) to come back to the sport with support and contingency. However, we need to show them that we have a venue for their unmodified bikes to compete.

One more important aspect that this partnership will bring is a Series Referee who will evaluate a course for degree of difficulty and rider safety. We certainly do not want to injure any riders; on the other hand, we do not want the course to easy either. The “A� riders must be challenged and the “C� rider must have a good time and not be discouraged. We will be able to enlist the services of Dick Burleson to be the AMA National Enduro Referee. I think you would agree that having the support of DB will elevate the stature of the series.

The NEPG would also provide a series winners circle podium where riders could be recognized. We need to bring some ceremony to the finish where the riders could receive their trophy and mention sponsors. This would also be a perfect time for photos and interviews; we need to be press friendly!

As you can see, it is still an American Enduro, just updated to meet our rider’s expectations and to prepare for the continuation and growth of our sport.

Chuck Weir
Off-Road Racing Manager
American Motorcyclist Association
13515 Yarmouth Dr.
Pickerington, OH 43147
1 (800) AMA-JOIN
[I]