Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 AM

Default GG Geometry ?

Ok, so I have been agonizing over what my next bike will be for some time now. I currently ride an 02' KTM 400EXC and want something smaller for enduro racing. Last weekend I had the opportunity to ride an 07' KTM 250F-XC and 05' GG DE300 back to back. The KTM had some suspension work done by the local GG dealer and it was very plush and to my liking, but it had the same turning issues as my 02' 400 which feels like it pushes in the corners and the front end feels too light and not planted when turning. When I got on the GG I immediately felt more comfortable (faster) and the bike turned on a dime without the "push" feeling. Having read many posts, the 08' KTMs (250 xcw-e) are supposed to handle better than its predecessors and also have the magic button . Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with an 08' KTM, so I cannot ride to compare. I was able to get the head angle and wheel base from the KTM site, but could not find any similar specs for the GG. My hope was to compare the geometry of the GG and the new KTM. Does anyone know where I can get the info on the GG? Also, is there any word on the 08' GG being available? Right now I am leaning toward an 05' or newer DE250, assuming I can get/find one.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM

Hey fellas,

Urge him towards whichever bike handles worse ... it's getting harder to keep up with him.

~300
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

I don't know the hard numbers off hand, but I'll look. In the meantime read this:

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1544

I heard '08s in late November, FWIW.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM

don't be afraid to try something new. Seems like the orange crowd is slow to stray from the rest of the heard. If you try something other than an orange bike ... you won't fall off the edge of the world. Why not get the 05 300. One bad thing about gas gas is crappy resale. pick up the 05 for short money and ride it for a year. If it doesn't work out go back to orange. If it makes you smile keep it, or look for a little used 08. You'll have a better ride and for less money too!!!!

Go Gas Gas, or Go Home!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Beleive me, there are more reasons to go GG than to stay with KTM. The local KTM dealer closed shop, so the GG dealer is just as close as the closest KTM dealer and the GG dealer is great. Really good people and really know their stuff. Going from a 4 stroke, I think I will really miss the button. My ideal bike would be a de250 with a button, so I was thinking if the KTM now rides like a GG and has the button, that would be the ticket. However; I would not be willing to give up the handling of the GG to get the button. The other issue is being able to get a de250. There was one for sale recently that I should have bought, but that was before I had a chance to ride a GG and was hesitant to get something before I had a chance to ride one. You are correct about resale, so I would prefer to get used. I will not need a new ride until spring, so hopefully one will show before then.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:55 AM

Regardless of your personal quest, you've just answered one of my nagging questions as I contemplate buying a slightly used '05 DE300 vs a newer GG or an '08 KTM. That is, has the KTM line's handling and suspension improved enough to consider purchasing it over the GG, even a 3-year old GG. Sounds from your description that the answer is, no, KTM ain't there yet.

In Arizona we have a situation where there are a good handful of '08 KTMs on order but few have been delivered and I've not been able to glom a ride on any of them. No opinion from here, yet.

Rick
Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM

My buddy is all KTM. He just made AA enduro and hare scramble status this year, mostly on his '05 KTM 200. He bought an '08 200 a little while ago, sent the boingers to Factory Connection, raced it, and didn't like it at all. I think he already sold it. So...that's one man's opinion of a new KTM for you. He loves his '05.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM

too bad we cant get billy to change colors brian
Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 PM

I have ridden the 08 KTM xc300. Very nice bike, turned well, well put together, very light, blah blah blah. The only thing it had over my 02 gg300 was the lightweight factor. The fork on the KTM was plain harsh compared to my 02, as was the shock. Granted my bike is tuned to full plush, the KTM was bone stock. I have ridden numerous KTMs of various years and have no inclination to buy one. I will be looking for an 05-06 GG with the big 50's in about a year and hopefully keeping the 02.

Paul
Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM

Default 06 250de

Anyone interested,I have a new 250DE for sale.5500.00828 652 5358