Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Question Future of Two Strokes

Does anyone have some insight into the future of the beloved ring-ding? I really love mine and don't want to give them up yet. Are they really as bad for the environment as they tree-huggers say they are? I was told that the factories are dictating the change because they don't want to make two different types of engines anymore. Is this indeed true? Weighing the pros and cons of 2 and 4 strokes always brings me back to the 2 stroke. Am I on an island on this or are there others out there who agree with me? I still think that mixing fuel is easier than valve adjusting and whatever else is involved with keeping a thumper happy. What is the general consensus?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Much of the motorcycle industry seems to have given up on 2T's, but 2T's are alive and well in the snowmobile industry. You will be hard pressed to find a 4T snowmobile on the trails around here, and the one you do find will have $5K plus in turbo and performance parts, and will weigh 100 or more pounds than the other sleds on the trail / mountain.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Most of my friends(except the track riders)have gone back to 2T's due to the expence and time spent maintaining 4T's. I'm seeing new ones on the trails all the time. I'm hearing they will eventually go to EFI to deal with so called emission issues.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Future of Two Strokes

I have also heard and read some articles on EFI. If they can get it to work, I can see some benefit. The question then is: how will this affect the prices on new bikes? Will it make the cost out of reach? Will it actually work?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascanuck View Post
I have also heard and read some articles on EFI. If they can get it to work, I can see some benefit. The question then is: how will this affect the prices on new bikes? Will it make the cost out of reach? Will it actually work?
Given that 4-strokes cost at least a grand more than two strokes, adding the EFI shouldn't price them out of reach. Then again, I have heard garden variety four stroke EFI won't work on a two stroke. Because a two stroke needs fuel injected on the compression stroke, you need a much higher pressure system than you do on a four stroke that gets injected on the intake stroke. I am tempted to get a two stroke and if they were injected, it would really push me over the edge.

Greg
Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Skid doo makes a semi direct injection sled thats a two stroke. It also has some fancy injection on it's evinrude 2t boat motors. The epa gave it an award for clean burning technology on the evinrude motors. Less pollution than 4t boat motors. Seems to me that the technology is there
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Just got an email from the AMA as I'm sure you guys did. New MX classes for '08 include 125 and 250 2-stroke only classes, and up to 153cc and 285cc may run with the 250Fs and 450Fs respectively. Thats good news.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:12 AM

I don't understand why , with all this positive 2t information, that 2t's in general seem to have gotten a bad rap as of late. One really has to wonder exactly what is going on with the manufacturers as well as the buying public. Does the old saying money talks, b.s. walks still come into effect? With this whole 4t influx, there must be literally thousands of 2t bikes out there and all of them at decent prices. Who, in their right mind wouldn't want to pick up one then? From an environmental aspect, it seems the jury is still out on the so-called negative effects of a 2t. I know things here in Canada and especially here in Manitoba, the MX racers are now starting to turn back to 2t's for ease of manitenance. What I want to know is, is noise pollution more of an issue over exhaust pollution? Here in Canada, the restrictions are a little more relaxed than the U.S. but noise seems to be a way bigger issue over emissions. It seems the braaap is more appealing than roarrrr.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 AM

I can't remember where I saw it but some people have a TM 250 2T motor running with FI.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 AM

whats the story with two strokes in America? Honda have stopped making them here in Australia. are there any other main stream companies (Gas Gas, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Kawsaki, Suzuki and the like) not making 2t's over there?