Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 AM

Default Type 2 Diabetes

Hi

I have Type 2 Diabetes, and often find this effects my hydration on long rides. I have tried plain water for hydration, as well as a few of the Hydrates available on the market, and have not had good results.

Most of the sport drinks like Gatorade, Poweraide etc have far too many carbos (sugars) and react negatively.

Is there anyone out there that has Type 2 that has found a decent mix for the Camelbak?

Old 11-30-2008, 08:15 AM

No diabetes here but at the last ride I was out of my usual CytoMax or Accelerade mix so I used Power Aid Zero. Picked it up at the local super market and it has 0 sugar in it. Seemed to work just as well as the other stuff for me. I went through 4 bottles of the stuff in 70 miles and used it straight. I sweat allot
Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Straight Gatorade is ridiculous sweet for all but kids. I mix it usually at 3:1 (gatorade:water) for decent results. I am allergic to some artificial sweetners so I stay away from anything questionable.

What works very well, but is an aquired taste, is Pedealyte. I chug a totally iced down bottle before a race, and have carried a mix in the Camelback. No significant sugar, just electrolytes. My brother has this stuff that Rich Lafferty endorses, I forgot the name. Its a concentrate you mix with water. He does a straight up shot in the AM! Nasty, like drinking seawater even mixed down. Works good, also good for hangovers!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:06 PM

I use E-load and E-load zone caps with great results. Pedealyte is also a great alternative.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
No diabetes here but at the last ride I was out of my usual CytoMax or Accelerade mix so I used Power Aid Zero. Picked it up at the local super market and it has 0 sugar in it. Seemed to work just as well as the other stuff for me. I went through 4 bottles of the stuff in 70 miles and used it straight. I sweat allot
I usually use Endurox, but I was out of it and tried the Power Aid Zero. Very good stuff. Tasted great and I felt good all day.

09 Husaberg FE450
08 GasGas DE300
07 TM EN300
07 GasGas TXT Pro 280
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Dingo,

I use "Rehidrat" available all over SA. I am not sure whether it's suitable for diabetics though! It lists the"sugar" contents as 4.1g glucose and 8.1g sucrose per 14g of product.

Hope this helps you. If not, try Discovery medical aid's helpline, they may be able to recommend a suitable electrolyte replacement for "sporty" diabetics.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:25 AM

Ok, here is a mix given to me by someone that rescued me on a trail. My readings were well down and I was dizzy and sleepy. He made me drink from his CamelBak, and it boosted me nicely. Its Diabetic safe. Tastes a bit ikky, like sea water, but quenched my thirst and gave me a good boost.

This is the mix for 1 Litre just multiply by the number of litres you make.

4 - 5 teaspoons Glucose powder.
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Bicarb.
Sugar free juice to taste to you're taste.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
Here is a link to the stuff GMP is talking about, I use it for cramps.
http://www.elytesport.com/
Old 08-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I do have type-2 and use e-lyte sport mixed with some orange tang. I could tell a big difference when I first started riding (for the 2nd time) year or so ago. it has both Sodium and Potassium so you get both side of the muscle equation.