Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:10 PM

I think I've finally got my starter fixed , I did the Bendix fix & it only lasted so long .
I fitted a new starter sprocket as the last 1 had a few teeth missing , I then noticed I had teeth missing on the top of my Bendix , I bought a Vespas Bendix on the off chance it might fit 14/40 tooth .
It was about 4mm longer so I made a 4mm gasket & my bike is now starting as it should .
Time will tell if it lasts .
Stuart

Old 03-06-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
I think I've finally got my starter fixed , I did the Bendix fix & it only lasted so long .
I fitted a new starter sprocket as the last 1 had a few teeth missing , I then noticed I had teeth missing on the top of my Bendix , I bought a Vespas Bendix on the off chance it might fit 14/40 tooth .
It was about 4mm longer so I made a 4mm gasket & my bike is now starting as it should .
Time will tell if it lasts .
Stuart
Can you link what bendix did you got? i'm willing to try a new bendix.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:10 AM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184139605741

I got mine from ped parts but the Bendix in the link is the same part number
Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 AM

I forgot to say , I had to file the 2 bolt holes at the top of the starter to allow the starter to sit about 4mm higher due to the 4mm gasket I made .
Old 03-06-2020, 06:18 AM

Hi , I'm sorry I've just realised I've posted about my starter in the wrong thread , my bike is a 2014
Old 03-06-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart View Post
Hi , I'm sorry I've just realised I've posted about my starter in the wrong thread , my bike is a 2014
lol i got me all excited about it... no problem mate
Old 03-06-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaulnier View Post
Nate I am not sure what the difference is but some bikes seem to have more friction in the starter assembly, gearing, shafts, etc and/or the CDI needs more voltage to fire the spark plug.

If everything is properly toleranced as designed and the CDI is a nice sparky one then the stock battery should be fine, like on your bike. Thanks for the reminder that some work just fine.

But the factory has recommended the 240 CCA antigravity as part of the solution for those of us that are having trouble. Fingers crossed mine keeps starting with the new antigravity .......

Cheers Steve
The only things I have done differently from stock is add a earth strap, bigger leads as I had a heap left over from work and the wet mod. But it started from cold from the get go. I only did the wet mod so I don?t have to bother lubricating the bendix every 5th ride. And the leads were done because the stock ones were a bit of a joke.

I agree with the lack of friction. It is not a complicated system so hopefully everyone can get a working button.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Heres my fix

So my new to me 18 wouldn't start off the button cold. My friend had the cable and cdi done to no avail along with a 240cca battery . I tested and saw no spark during cranking. So I ran a 6 gauge car cable with 1/4 lugs from solenoid to starter 8gauge from battery to solenoid . Used old starter wire as a secondary ground from battery to starter bracket bolt. Cranked her and spark galore . Fired right up again and again. Those factory wires could not supply enough current and probably caused starter damage to some. $4 for the lugs and $6 worth of starter cable. I'll let you know if anything changes . But I'd recommend this to anyone still running the stock cables even if your starters working, $10 well spent to prevent future starter wear . Good luck
Old 04-16-2020, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a starter cable upgrade kit that you can buy.

https://shop.gasgaspartsguy.com/BATT...talogId=-15678
Old 06-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Just a quick question, if i measure with a multimeter, with the negative on the starter engine body and a positive on the + starter engine coil, how many Volts should i read? Mine is reading +/- 8V. the batery is reading 13v.

I'm a noob with eletronics, i need tome guidance, if i put the multimeter on the batery negative and the positive on de starter selenoid on the coil that goes to de motor i got also 8V.