Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM

great advice guys....i also pack a few endurolites with me,take a few after lunch stop and a few based on how im feeling at some of the resets,nothing like them to keep you from cramping up on a long event,will even take them away once you start ramping which is usually too late to do anything about at that point..

Old 12-25-2011, 09:34 PM

not that I know anything about nutrition ... but
I read something recently that your body uses a large proportion of its enegry, something like 50% just digesting food. Their thing was to make sure you ate stuff that was easy to digest ... that way you had more energy available to use for your intended endevour ... seems plausible ....
Old 12-26-2011, 01:51 AM

Your post got me curious so I read a little about endurance foods and eating habits. I am not trying to prove anyone right or wrong or saying what I read is right or wrong. Energy in an Enduro is pretty important and I will be trying to research this more in the future.

I havent done alot of research on how much your body uses during digestion, but I have seen them say 10% a few times. (I am no nutrition expert, or anything of that sort either. I am going from my brief readings and who knows what to believe on certain subjects)

I did come across an interesting article about endurance eating though one was about the eating habits of the Kenyan runners and one about endurance eating...

here are links for anyone interested:
Endurance Eating
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/.../endeating.htm
Eating Habits of Kenyan Runners
http://www.active.com/running/Articl..._the_world.htm
Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 AM

I glosssed over the article that you posted by Jon Berardi and a few things struck me. 1 the prerace meal he suggests is a good meal but the break down of carbs, fat, protein does not match up to his suggestion, which i think is a horrible one. 2. the thought of a "carbo load is a fallacy. Our bodies can only hold so much glycogen in its cells. The thought that we can some how stuff in a little extra is a common one but wrong.

For a big event that matters to you i believe in starting your race diet two days out, at this point all treats are removed from the diet. We concentrate on lean proteins that break down and will be used quickly, no red meat or pork. We get our carbs from vegetable and fruit sources that are grown above the ground. We cut back or out wheat and diary, or anything else that has shown to be upsetting during digestion. Race morning is a meal of about 400 calories at least two hours prior to the event about 25grams of protein 30 grams of carbs.

The following is for events lasting more the two hours.

During the event try to consume about two hundred calories per hour, this can be difficult. I use a variety of stuff to do this, from energy bars with some protein in them to sports drinks that i mix with some protein in them and gu shots. The protein is important. I also try to get some caffeine as this can keep your stomach processing it all. This is a difficult balance to get right, it changes from race to race depending on how you feel. You also must be really on top of it early, you can't catch up if you are behind.

I love reading the stories of the great running cultures of the world, as well the great endurance athletes and their feats. Having read many of these type articles, books, and white papers i am convinced there is no magic. One must find the blend that works for them.

I have been professionally trained, I have raced at a high level, and now I am training other athletes. If you need help, I love this stuff, and would like to help you.

Ps. My back ground in racing is in triathlons, adventure racing, and mountain biking. I bought a motorcycle in August of 2010 having seen a program on the Baja 1000 and thought i want to do that.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Thank you boyscout, next race I will try this rather than my usual eating a family sized lasagna haha.

I have never really researched into this much until now, just took some peoples word and tried it and it worked better than what i was doing. Your plan does seem better though and i understand a little bit what you are saying and why you said it.

If you had to make a grocery list for a 4-5hr enduro what would it consist of?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Interesting thread.

I will be entering the roof of africa extreme enduro next year and have been pondering this same topic, because I have found that I fade quite drastically towards the end of an enduro and I suspect it is because I do not take in enough/the right fuels

The roof is a 3 day event where I will most likely be in the saddle for about 7 hours a day riding (and carrying!) the bike over some energy sapping terrain and would imagine I need to be eating something everytime I stop to catch my breath and don't know how to ride with a picnic hamper!!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Ok, here goes my standard kit.
Disclaimer, never try anything on race day that you have not tried in practice. If you crap your pants cause you ate something new that didn't settle well, its not my fault.

Night before race-Ill eat a big piece of fish usually salmon(wild caught if possible) or tuna, big means about .75 pound. I have been eating black eyed peas often lately as my veggie. They are high in carbs and have some protein as well. I will substitute chicken breast for the fish if when i go to the market it doesn't look fresh. I am not worried about portions at this meal ill eat as much as i want, I'm eating good food.

Morning before race- If its an enduro and I'm camping out ill usually eat a high calorie protein bar, i like Impact bars i think they are the best you can get. But if at home ill eat eggs and waffles. Three or four eggs only one square of waffle. I want about 400 calories around 2 hours pre race. I like coffee. I may have a banana as well, i want it to be good and ripe and not a huge one. It will help me feel full. Eat nothing 45 minutes before race.

During- I try to get about 200 calories per hour, this can be difficult. Its better to try and get 100 calories every thirty minutes. I use Cliff bars, Gu, and Acceleraide. Cliff and Gu make a product with caffeine in it, if i can find it thats the one i get. When using these you need about 8-10 oz of water each. You must drink plenty of water with these or IT WILL CAUSE STOMACH CRAMPS. I use Accelerade and i mix it at twice the recommended amount. I like Accelerade because it has some protein in it. I wear a camel back filled with water only and to carry all these groceries.

Water- don't try to water load, drink enough water that your urine is clear, thats all you need. I keep water with me at all times and drink through out the day. When you start exercising don't drink any water for about 10 minutes prior to and at least twenty minutes into the event. When you start exercising your body needs to move the blood to muscles for oxygen and away from the stomach for digestion. When i drink water while exercising i slam it, forces my body to use it, versus just sipping it.

Post race- 25 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs within one hour of completion (sooner is better), closely followed by several beers.

Some of you may think that i would need more carbs than this prior to an event, but i took care of that following my last work out, which is the best time to do so. See post race, not including the beers.

Last edited by boyscout; 12-27-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Swazzi mat-

A three day event is a little more complicated, you need to eat foods that will also help you mitigate you lactic acid load so you'll be fresh for the next day. Grapefruit, oranges and fresh spinach are my best suggestions. I would really turn up the protein as well trying to get at least .75 grams per kilo of body weight. But your body can only assimilate about 25-30 grams per hour, so you must take through out day.

As well i would get a foam roller and any other device (including a wife or girl friend) to try and manipulate the acid. I used to lay down with my feet above my head for an hour each night. If you are well funded get a massage each night.

Beyond this get as much sleep as you can get. Try to get at least 10-12 hours per night.

Actually i would probably skip the girl friend or wife idea, unless they are super helpful and supportive. It is often easy for us to get upset with the ones we are closest with, managing your emotions and anxiety while competing is more important than anyone gives credit.

Last edited by boyscout; 12-27-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Thank you boyscout I have heard in the past that it is better to drink room temp water to hydrate and save energy because your body has to use energy to warm the water you drink I heard this from a nurse and again from a doctor have you heard anything like this or know anything about it?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:49 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

@ boyscout thanks, will take it in and see how I can use your info, getting 10 hours sleep is not going to happen but I did see that at this years event they had physios giving massages so will save a bit more for that (especially as my wife hates going to races!). Any reason you go for caffeine, thought that was a diuretic and would speed up dehydration? (which is why I have alwayswondered if the red bull athletes actually drink the stuff??)

@ jarret I would think that drinking cold water at rest would cause you to use energy, but when you all kitted up and your natural cooling system - sweat - is battling to work effectively through layers of protective clothing, I would think it would assist with keeping your body temp down (or is that just false logic?)