Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I have a concept II rower at home as well. And the small gym I use every day at work has one. Great workout for riding and it's smooth and easy on the joints.

Since my double bypass - I have been working out every day on the treadmill and the rower - usually 45-60 minutes of cardio along with light weights.

I recall that Girard (gasgasman) said that he rows as well...

jeff
Jeff, So how is your recovery coming along after the open heart mod, and what does your diet now consists of?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Dude you must be a machine to pedal a single speed off-road!
I wouldn't recommend anybody buying a single speed mountain bike, unless they are already a fairly fit cyclist. I've ridden a few, owned a few track bikes and it's a recipe for over use injuries, especially if your older and not in the best of shape. But nothing beats going fast on a single speed if your legs are up to it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
I wouldn't recommend anybody buying a single speed mountain bike, unless they are already a fairly fit cyclist. I've ridden a few, owned a few track bikes and it's a recipe for over use injuries, especially if your older and not in the best of shape. But nothing beats going fast on a single speed if your legs are up to it.
Good advise but you don't have to worry about me going with a single speed unless it uses a gear ratio like the small ring up front and the big one on the rear !
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 PM

No single speeds for me!! I had a tough time deciding on my last bike if I should spend an extra $100 to get the 30 speed. I chose the cheaper 27 speed and it does the job for me. Here's a really well put together video of some great downhill and freestyle mtn bike riding;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJLZxXErM0
Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Jeff, So how is your recovery coming along after the open heart mod, and what does your diet now consists of?
I am doing well - I had no heart damage - it is coming along well - but I need to be patient and work towards my goals slowly. I have kind of hit a weight loss plateau - but I am sure I am putting on muscle - just need to be patient and "keep going"...

One of my main issues has been pulling muscles & getting "knots" in my back as I try to work my upper body back into shape - some muscles got totally atrophied in my upper body and I think things just get tweaked when they "crank you open". And I wasn't in great shape prior to my surgery - I didn't realize how my health had deteriorated due to my cardiovascular problems.

My diet has totally changed - I used to be the first guy in line at the hamburger grill and was clearly a "meat and potatoes guy". I now eat a mediterranean diet - fish, chicken, vegetables, fiber, etc. I often pick the vegetarian option in the cafeteria at work. I no longer eat any fast food, fried food, red meat, no dairy products except for non-fat milk in the a.m. on my cereal.

My weight is down and my blood pressure and cholesterol are now well under control and low. It's funny, I don't really miss the "old diet" because I feel so much better now...

Jeff
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Good to hear that you're recovering and making progress! I gotta change my diet as well. Going to hard to give up my pork rinds
Old 01-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Rod,
Is that your pet name for Debbie?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ10 View Post
Rod,
Is that your pet name for Debbie?
Oh man... she's going to get you for that Robbie!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson_hollow View Post
No single speeds for me!! I had a tough time deciding on my last bike if I should spend an extra $100 to get the 30 speed. I chose the cheaper 27 speed and it does the job for me. Here's a really well put together video of some great downhill and freestyle mtn bike riding;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJLZxXErM0
Well if you saw this video last night you were one of the lucky ones. Now they are offering it for sale. I was gonna get one of my geek friends to download it for me but I waited one day too late. Here's their new teaser site;
http://lifecyclesfilm.com/
Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson_hollow View Post
Well if you saw this video last night you were one of the lucky ones. Now they are offering it for sale. I was gonna get one of my geek friends to download it for me but I waited one day too late. Here's their new teaser site;
http://lifecyclesfilm.com/
WOW, cool video! Now...replace the bicycle in the film with a Gas Gas and you would have an award winner!