Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Nambo, what is the full story when this happened? were you riding then bike suddenly stalled then wouldn't kick?

Were you stopped then tried to kick?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:34 PM

After about 3 hours riding climbed a few hills then waited at the bottom with the bike off till my buddy came down, about 2 minutes later I tried to kick it and it would not budge or push start, the wheel wouldn't roll.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I see you have the head off, have you pulled the jug off? if so check the sides of the rod for rub marks or unusual polishing.
If it is the stuffer screw it could be resting in crank case just right so motor will crank but could easily get wedged again.

I was riding mine and went to seat bounce over mud crossing and motor just stalled suddenly.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

My clutch basket broke and everything locked up. The piece of the bascket lodged between the clutch and the case. Pull the clutch cover if you haven't and in spect the basket fingers.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
ok so i drained oil and no chunks or anything out of the ordinary, i checked the piston and there isnt a mark on it and the cylinder has no scoring or gouging of any kind it looks perfect. im going to consult my dealer to have a look behind the primary as i dont think this should be happening with only 25 hours on the bike. ill post a pick of the cylinder shortly. oh and there was no coolant in there either.
There was no coolant in the radiator or in the motor? If there wasn't any coolant in the radiator then you seized your motor and when it cooled you managed to free it back up. Maybe you got lucky and didn't damage anything, really lucky.... I would at least do rings if that's the case.

Like others have said anything in the tranny could have come loose and caused it to lock up. Bad thing is you may have to take a lot apart to find the missing piece. Start at the easy stuff like the flywheel, then go to the clutch, and then maybe start looking down in the crank. Maybe there could have been a nut or something fallen down in there from the factory, stranger things have happened.

I wouldn't ride the bike until I found the problem even if it seems fine. You don't want that piece bouncing around waiting to do serious damage.

Lastly I don't see how your kickstarter could lock up. There is a gear in there that drives the clutch basket, but its pretty simple.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM

the kick starter did lock up! anyway there was exactly the amount of coolant that should be in the rad i meant no evidence of coolant in the cylinder. im not totally in the dark about engines just new to 2-strokes and this far there not very complicated i think it will just be an easter egg hunt to find the problem. im pulling the primary cover off tomorrow to inspect clutch and kick starter. my dealer contacted me today and said he has heard of kick start gear problems on some gassers so im going to start there, as i said the cylinder and piston are fine.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Part #2 might have got jammed.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:03 PM

thanks so much gasgasman i appreciate the schematic! im taking the primary off tomorrow so ill let you know what i find.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Ok , this might sound weird , but i had an 06 300 , that about 2 months after i sold it , the new owner had a very very similar thing happen to him. Same thing , Kicker locked up and the rear wheel too. He was climbing up a hill and GENTLY fell over on the kicker side and then everything was locked up solid. The fall hit nothing , and i mean it was a gentle tip over. What it turned out to be , was the bearing on the water pump came loose and jammed the shaft. New bearing and pump , and the bike hasn't missed a beat in a year and a half since. Now i dont know if this is what's going on with yours , but if your going into that side , take a look at the water pump.

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve
Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM

i appreciate the input aflica, it just so happens that describes the chain of events to a tee for what happened yesterday, climb then a gentle lay down on kick side, rode it down and wouldnt start. ill have a closer look tommorrow thanks