Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM

2 of my buddies replaced their stock (KTM) headlight with a Rigid Dually.
I've ridden the bikes and it's bright enough that even helps in the daytime woods ! I can get more details if needed.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM

My brother cut an extra number plate for two 900 lumen LED driving lights like the VisionX on his Husky. Very bright and still fits like a number plate, so low profile. You can still run numbers on it if you want. It would be easy to do this for a GG with all components on the back of the plate and a simple connector to the assembly.

jgas,

2K-2 is 35-40W AC output max, no matter how you slice it, and that does not mean a 40W DC output. Considering the losses, you can forget about HIDs. LEDs are the only real choice when trying to squeeze useful light out of this ignition stator. A couple of 10W high output LEDS is a realistic maximum for a reliable system. LEDS are so efficient though you could run a couple more on your helmet as Paul suggests for hours on a very small battery pack. No need for large heavy batteries anymore. Plus, LEDs are virtually bulletproof, unlike the small HIDs which fail on a regular basis.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

2K-2 is 35-40W AC output max, no matter how you slice it, and that does not mean a 40W DC output. Considering the losses, you can forget about HIDs. LEDs are the only real choice when trying to squeeze useful light out of this ignition stator. A couple of 10W high output LEDS is a realistic maximum for a reliable system. LEDS are so efficient though you could run a couple more on your helmet as Paul suggests for hours on a very small battery pack. No need for large heavy batteries anymore. Plus, LEDs are virtually bulletproof, unlike the small HIDs which fail on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

Glenn,
Do you know what output the 2k3 has ?
I am looking at purchasing the Baja designs squadron setup.
Thanks Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 AM

I ended up buying 2 magicshine 808 led lights & put one on the bars with the 30? lense and the other on my helmet. I just used them last night for a couple of hours and I love them. They are amazing for such a small light. A guy on my 24 hr team bought a cyclopse led adventure light for twice as much as my $89.00 magicshine & it didn't do any better than mine. I might try running one off of the bike later but the batteries are so small & last so long I don't see the need. Check out actionledlights.com
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM

I think 2K-3 is 75W on one winding(yellow) and 15W on the other(white) but they are out of phase and cannot be connected together. You could probably use two phases of a three phase rect/reg or make your own if you need all of it.

Mark,

I looked at the Baja Designs Squadron LEDs. Four LEDs for $300 is overpriced. I just had in my hand yesterday, a copy of the VisionX I used to run. Looked exactly the same except it did not have the waterproof connector system. Alloy housing that can be linked together in a block or bar, which is what BD has done. Same emitter. My neighbor bought a pair for his BMW for $53 on ebay. BD is making a lot of $$ on this one.

These emitters/controller run constant 10W power output from a 9 to 30 volt input. You will have no problem running four on a 2K-3 DC conversion, even six should be good. Should be easy to set them up in a bar configuration that mounts to the triple clamps for easy R&R.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 AM

Thanks Glenn,
So what you are saying is that they are identical in input and output ( bar the waterproofing)?
Do you know if they can be switched ( i.e high low beam?).
Anything specific to look out for or beware of if buying off of fleabay?
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 AM

Yes they appear the same. The originals came from South Korea, the emitter is made there also. That emitter/controller is the same one used in all the high output single emitter LEDs. 10W constant input approx 900 Lumens. The lenses vary, spot to flood. The ones off ebay l saw looked pretty good, no connector but same alloy enclosure and stainless mount brackets. Not sure if they are just cheaper Korean units or Chineese clones. In any case its a great way to get a lot of light on a bike. The small HIDs are a nightmare as far as reliability.

Mine could not be switched but the newer VisionX can. Not sure about these. So little draw why bother? Its not like a headlight that switches beam pattern, just intensity.

I'll try and find out exactly where he got them, may get some myself. I think a row of them on the upper triple over the number plate would be slick, no special plastic/headlight shell mods needed. Just a bracket mounted under the bar mounts. Could also mount the rect/reg and a cap or small battery, with a simple AC connector to it from the stator like your OEM headlight. The lights actually link together, so a bolt on each end light is fine.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM

LED lights are typically full ouput only. To get a reduced output, you can use an external PWM control to vary the brightness. I use this unit:
http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks guys.
The reason for hi and lo beam switching option is because it is a rule in the 24hr race that I am planning on doing if I get the lights sorted.
Thanks Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM

That will likely not work with the lights I am talking about as they have their own integrated controller, and have the same output for a large input voltage range. That controller linked to is suited for basic LEDs or halogen lamps.