Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 07-18-2006, 12:56 PM

Default sinus surgury,

Well,
I had the surgury this morning at 9am, only took like 45-50 minutes. I was expecting more pain, this might get worse? I was on my way home at 11. I was told I snapped out of the anethesia quick, within 5 minutes of getting out of the op room I was drinking juice and soda. The Dr. told me he will fill me in more tomorrow when the packing comes out. He said he had to pull more bone out than expected but said my results should be a major difference. Actually with the packing in right after the op I could breathe better already, now they are packed up with blood and snot(I guess?). The kicker is I really have to sneeze! I'm only on 1/2 the pain meds as I really only have a sinus headache type pain. If this is it pain wise it will be well worth it. So far(still easrly tho) no downside to this.
I will try to keep everybody posted as how this goes. By the way, this was also to keep me from getting vertigo again, which is bad, very bad.
Later,,,
Steve C

Jeff, an injury/recovery section might be a good idea, specially that I post here.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Steve,
I hope you have a speedy recover!

What prompted you to sinus surgery? Was it sleep-related issues (like snoring) or chronic sinus congestion?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:07 PM

I've been having more and more sinus infections every year. This year was the kicker with a dozen, plus one rutptured eardrum and an extreme case of vertigo brought on my the clogged sinuses pushing the pressure and infection into my inner ear. I've always had an issue with breathing, sinuses and snoring as when I was a kid I broke my nose often screwing around. The septum was badly deviated and apperently had grown into the sinus passage closing off one and resricting the others. I just kinda got used to the poor breathing. I also have bad alegies and asthma too. If I can figure out how to scan an xray I could post the cat scan. If the pain doesnt get any worse this will be a win, as until my nose packed up I could aready breat better with the packing in. I'm glad I waited tho. After talking to the nurses at the surgical center it seems the surgury I had was the new style, the old style was more painful and wasnt as effective. They told me they have only been doing it the new way for about 2years. If you cant tell I'm bored. Cant seem to get comfortable to sleep and nothing else to do but surf.
Thanks,
Steve C
Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

I've always had sinus congestion from allergies but nothing like you had to endure. Best of luck with your healing. I posted a couple videos so if you're still bored... go check them out!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Well, today at 11:30 the packing came out. That by far was the worst part of this. It only lasted 5 seconds, maybe less. She said I'd feel a slight pressure? Light pressure my ass. At least it was over quick. They then cleaned it out and sprayed in some drug with a blast of pressure. The splints come out next wensday, but I was told once they snip the stitches they fall right out. I already breathe like 100% better. I cant blow my nose for two weeks, but they said I can sniff, in ok no out? All in all its been real low on pain, I've only taken 4-5 of my pain pills. No downside at all at this point. I think I might even be able to breath out the nose while riding, something I dont remember being able to do ever. If you get this done just make sure its the newer style operation.
I'll keep posting daily, as I have time, sitting around doin nothing.
Later,,

Oh, and the vidios are great! One of these days I'll learn to burn on the dvd and get a good dvd to watch while on the treadmill!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My wife had sinus surgery performed about a year ago. FYI - I asked her about it and she said it took here about 3 weeks to recover. She says she can breathe much better now and a side benefit for me is that she rarely snores now.

I was having issues - lots of sinus infections, congestion etc. It turned out to be triggered by allergies - I started using rhino-cort (steroid spray for nose) and it cleared me right out.

Since you can't blow your nose - can you use a saline spray to thin things out? I use an aerosol called "simply saline" - it comes in a little white spray can and works great. It doesn't sting as much as the saline sprays in the little squeeze bottles - it has less preservative since it is in a sealed can.

Take it easy and good luck.

jeff
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 PM

The Dr. office gave me a saline kit to start using 3 times a day tomorrow. Hope it works! I have lots of discharge due to the irritation. I'll check out the spray too as when I'm done with this kit I still might need to use a saline spray.
Thanks,
Steve C
Old 07-20-2006, 06:16 AM

Steve,

Glad it went OK. When are you cleared to ride? I would imagine when completely healed to avoid infection from dust. Now you should run like a bike with a fresh clean filter! When I had a sinus barotrauma (ruptured sinus cavity) from a diving accident, it took a couple weeks after the swelling went down to stop blowing bloody catipillars, so don't be surprised.

Rattlesnake Enduro 7/30. If you feel OK and want to get away for a day or so, head out and camp with us. You and Kyle can pit as it always helps. We should have a good crew and will stay over Sunday night as well.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser
If you cant tell I'm bored.
Not to make too much fun of your surgery, but anyone else see the humour in this statement ?
2016 Africa Twin
1975 Honda CB400 F1 (X2, projects)
2019 RE 650INT
1982 KDX80
2017 KAW EX300
1982 XL500R
2015 HUSKY FE501S
1972 HON CB175
Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan
Not to make too much fun of your surgery, but anyone else see the humour in this statement ?
LOL... overbored, resleeved, and going for maximum displacement.