Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Any ideas? I can't get one side of my forks to pump up?

Brent has been helping me with shim stacks, and I don't want to bother him again I got the first fork back together and it seems to be damping the motion both ways from just pushing on it. The other is like a freaking po-go stick. The first I could get the piston to pump up and really feel the drag, the second one to so much. I took it back apart and looked at the base and rebound stacks and they seem to be set ok. I have the .30mm of float on the mid side. the base valve flexed and wasn't in a bind. it is just flowing like a sieve. Any ideas? Piston pooped?

Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Never mind... loctite traveled...

and gummed up the rebound stack. took things back apart, and cleaned everything off. not sure how one dab could go so far.
Thanks!!!
Rob
Old 05-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Gummed up with a dab of what? You said in a earlier post that your piston was mashed as if it was stepped on. You surfaced the piston totally flat correct?
When installing the stack it is good practice to shoot breakclean between shims and piston then follow with compressed air with the nut loose. This is the best way to make sure it's all clean. Then remove nut and apply small amount of locktight. Once you have it tight examine the stack where it meets the piston, there can be NO gap between piston and the first face shim. Sounds like you are on the right track with all this stuff. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks! And I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me. When Brent offered to help, it sounded like a good time to try and learn what they are doing. I don't ever want or expect to gain your skills, but it would be nice to be better able to explain what is going on.

Took it out today, no BIG OUCHEEs but they were pretty pogoie starting out. They sit much higher with the 47kg springs and i think that made it kind of chopper'ish. I dropped the front 4mm and may try again tomorrow. I need to get my butt back into some form of shape, over a year off from serious riding has left me sucking worse than usual.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Well, after I couldn't get them to pump up, I carb cleaned them and blew them off and they worked for a while. I pulled them out again tonight to add another couple of shims to the rebound... and when I disassembled the stack, there was bits of that red-goo on both stacks. I cleaned them and hat to hid some with some 400 sand paper on a pane of glass. I used some of the red gel last time, this time I used the liquid and turned the nut a few times. then while the stack was still loose I hit them with cleaner and air - i hope it doesn't bleed out again and stick the shims.

anyway, as of right now I seem to actually have some rebound control.
Rob - thanks all!!!

ps: One note: rubber footed stool on painted floor with a little oil mixed in - not a good combo!!!! Paper towels between under the feet makes a big difference if are not looking to break an arm, hip, neck.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM

For loctite on the taps, I use very little on the NUT ONLY. Thread it together upsidedown so the loctite does not run into the stack, and wipe off any excess from the end of the tap/nut. I had a pair of Husky Zokes once that one leg had stiffer rebound that the other. Taking them apart I found the rebound face shims bound together with loctite.

Also wait for the loctite to cure before filling with oil, or there is no point in it anyway.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Doh! Well, next time I tear them apart I will wait longer
Actually, they probably had about 30 minutes, so maybe I am ok.
I did much better tonight, no big spills, remembered the paper towel under the step stool.
Again, I cannot thank you guys enough!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM

FYI. I have never waited and not had an issue. I too only use a small enough amount to cover threads and am careful to not allow it to over flow beyond the nut.

I took my forks apart again last night to swap everything out into my friends bike. I used 30 inch lbs of torque and red loctite. Nothing came loose, very solid.

What is funny, I took his stock forks apart and the base valve on both forks came apart and the shims were scatterd around. LOL. This happened on mine the first time as well.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

you mean the bolt and spring came off and allowed everything to just rattle about? Yikes!

Tags
forks, no damping, pogo