Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 AM

Default opinion on 450 please for newbie

Hello all, as this is my first post I would like to introduce myself. I recently got back into riding dirt after a 30 yr break. I now ride with my 13 yr old in Eastern Canada on mostly double track, rocks, roots... I ride a 2003 DRZ 400 stock. I have been checking out this site for some time now and thank you for already having helped me better know GasGas as it was new to me. There is great information here. I am not yet a very aggressive rider but am looking to improve and maybe participate in some harescrambles. I have no aspirations in being famous.

I am considering replacing the DRZ with a 2006 450 with 1200 km. The DRZ is a great tractor and seems bullet proof but I am curious about how better more enduro style bikes are and frankly I love bikes that are different and not the same as everybody elses. I have not seen any GasGas on the trails here. I searched and looked but did not find what I was looking for. Perhaps because I don't know the site well enough. I hope you don't mind helping me out or redirecting my questions to another thread if these are repeats.

I would like to know general impressions on the 2006 FSE 450;

1. how would the power compare to the DRZ
2. How would the handling compare to the DRZ
3. What should I watch out for if I take a look at the bike (photo only so far)
4. Are there any known mechanical or performance issues with this year and model?
5. This bike is stock other then a Clarke tank. Are there any obvious mods needed for this bike?
6. What is the current value of this bike in Canada?
7. Is this bike compatible to a Rekluse type clutch?
8. Any major differences between a 2006 and 2007 model (brand new holdover at dealership $8K)

Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it

Oldcow

Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 PM

My UNcle has that exact bike, and he loves it. I found that the handling was really nice and smooth, the suspension works fairly well for him and he wieghs around the 70-80 kilo's mark. The power is very strong off the bottom and pulls well into the top. He's had a couple of problems wiht the electris but that was only because it got drowned in a river crossing that was as deep as the bike. Its all good and fixed again.

There are two main differences between '06 and '07, complete re-design of the plastics (not important but its something that stands out) and i believe the '07 450 has the two stage ignition/switchable mapping.

Anothier option if you can get it in Canada would be the Pampera 450, its a calmer verison of the FSE. I believe it has the same engine, just with different timing and lower grade suspension.

If you can handle your DRZ ok you'll be fine on the FSE once you ride it a few times.

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
I would like to know general impressions on the 2006 FSE 450;

1. how would the power compare to the DRZ
2. How would the handling compare to the DRZ
3. What should I watch out for if I take a look at the bike (photo only so far)
4. Are there any known mechanical or performance issues with this year and model?
5. This bike is stock other then a Clarke tank. Are there any obvious mods needed for this bike?
6. What is the current value of this bike in Canada?
7. Is this bike compatible to a Rekluse type clutch?
8. Any major differences between a 2006 and 2007 model (brand new holdover at dealership $8K)

You can basically think of it as a modded DRZ.
1. There's more power than the DRZ and incredibly smooth.
2. It handles better than a DRZ, especially suspension and steering...IMO
3. Nothing that you wouldn't look for in any other dirt bike plus make sure the e-start cranks over nicely and the bike fires consistently within about 2 seconds. You shouldn't have to give it any throttle at all when starting. If you see any fuel leaking at all from around the throttle body, it's just a slightly loose hose clamp on the fuel hose.
4. IMO, there are no real performance issues except maybe being a little heavy to pick up after a crash(like a DRZ) but you don't notice the weight when riding(unlike a DRZ). I have an '05 and the '06 is basically the same bike and I think the '06 has that same POS kickstand, there are a couple of easy fixes for it.
5. A metal skid plate. Hand guards.
6. Sorry, can't help.
7. Yes
8. Significant redesign to make a great bike even better(from what I hear).

My '05 has proven to be a very reliable bike and if the '06 your looking at runs clean then odds are it will be good to you.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have been racing my '05 FSE 450 for a year now, ~100h of abuse. I bought it new as a leftover in dec 2006. I have had no issues that were not associated with crashing. Just make sure your battery is good, they are no fun kick starting.

The '06 models went from dry sump to wet sump, don't know if that is anything that would make a difference in reliability. And the fine handling really makes it feel lighter than spec'd.

GET ONE! The crisp throttle response is amazing.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the input. I have done more reading and it would seem this bike is definitely an improvement over the DRZ. I hope some one can advise what these bikes sell for in Canada.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:00 PM

The current owner did the following mods to the bike. Seems to make sense?

remove the cap in the exhust, take out a restrictor plate in the air box, and unpluged two wires under the tank
Old 01-15-2008, 10:08 PM

If you did get it, I would only service it and get the EFI trim checked. Then go and ride it

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
The current owner did the following mods to the bike. Seems to make sense?

remove the cap in the exhust, take out a restrictor plate in the air box, and unpluged two wires under the tank
Don't know how they were setup from stock in Canada, but in Sweden they had a throttle restrictor too. Check pic at the end of this thread: http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=800

And you would like to reattach the black wire under the tank, it's a ground cable for the ECU housing.

Get it! It's an awesome ride..