Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Default Difference between the 2010 models?

I read the history of Gas Gas sticky, but still have questions on the 2010 models.

I also spoke with 2 different Gas Gas dealers and it seems they don't have the details yet on the bikes.

I was curious what the differences are between the EC, EC Race, and EC Cross Country ... I'm looking at a 300.

What I've heard, the EC Race will have:
- stiffer suspension than the EC
- lighter flywheel weight than the EC
- wave braking rotors
- slightly different color scheme (no red, some white on the plastics)
- one dealer said same shock (Sachs), one said the Race had an Ohlins
- same forks but with spring preload adjuster (Sachs) on the Race

But what is different about the EC Cross Country? From the pictures it looks identical to the EC to me.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that the official information is vague on the 2010. You are correct on most of the differences from what I've read too. I believe the EC Race gets the rear Ohlins shock still. I'm under the impression that the EC Race gets the lighter flywheel, but this can always be swapped by the dealer based on rider preference.

Regarding the EC cross country, from what I read on the TMX site, the GasGasUK importer claims it is the same as EC standard bike without the light kit, mirrors, horn, etc., however the wiring is all intact (in case you decide to add them at at later date). This basically allows the European countries to get a bike similar to those delivered previously to the U.S.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM

The EC cross country sounds alot like the DE version we used to get in the states
Old 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM

So in the US you think the EC comes from some "dual sport" like stuff on it? Blinkers? Horn? Maybe I can convince the DMV to get me a license plate? (Big joke as I am in CA, land of the red sticker)

The two dealers I talked with aren't getting any of the "Race" models in Jan, they both said they didn't think it was worth the extra money and they are only getting the base EC in. Both had no info on the Cross Country model.

I'm really leaning towards a GG 300 (vs. a KTM 300) but this does make me a bit uneasy that we are in Dec. and have so little info on the bikes.

What's the best source for the real scoop?

Seems the "Race" model is $450 more than the base EC, so maybe the Ohlins shock is worth the price difference?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM

If your up in Nor.Cal, give these guys a call, they may have a bit more info.

http://www.lewisportusa.com/

Good Luck
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Default Differences between ECs and Race Versions

Talking just to the 2Ts here, and only the major differences

EC
* black plastic w red and white graphics
* red fork legs on Sachs forks
* "standard" front rotor, scalloped rear rotor
* red hubs
* Sachs rear shock w red reservoir

Race
* lighter flywheel
* white fenders w black and gold highlighted graphics, black shrouds
* black legs on external-preload-adjustable Sachs forks - much stiffer
* "wave" rotors front and rear
* more aggressive brake pads
* black hubs
* Ohlins rear damper
* gold rear sprocket
* FMF branded SA

Hope this helps justify the difference in price ... but then you may want to look at a Six Days edition for a different take on the base EC anyway ... (black fork legs, red slider protectors, more white/yellow/red in graphics w prominent SIX DAYS logo).
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters

Last edited by twowheels; 12-16-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 AM

Fyi; I've Heard That The Subframe And Airbox Are Different Than The 2009 Models. Tw
Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple W View Post
Fyi; I've Heard That The Subframe And Airbox Are Different Than The 2009 Models. Tw
Don't think that's correct. Where did you see that? The sub frame may have received some improvements for serviceability ease but nothing to drastic as far as I have read. The frame itself is different, some plastic is different, new tank is better. A bunch of good small improvements for 2010. There will be an e-start 300 (250?) coming very soon (Jan, Feb) although I have not seen even 1 leaked or spy photo of the motor which must be reworked a bit. This will be very interesting to see and hopefully they have learned from KTM's design errors for their 2 stroke e-start bikes (still a great option to have IMO). I'd say hold off until the e-start 300 bike becomes available if that appeals to you.

The strange Cross Country model is a Europe thing not US. Here you will get an EC or EC Racing if available. The US bikes do not come with any type of dual sport kit and the light kit is probably extra also (No way in CA to register that bike). Save your money and get the standard EC bike. Unless you're a AA type rider it's totally unnecessary with stupid stiff suspension settings that joe avarage rider will need to get revalved/resprung right away. IMO the EC looks better as well with it's red hubs and red anno fork legs but that's a personal thing. The six Day looks nice also but I'm pretty sure it's a Racing version underneath the pretty colors.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 PM

The air box is slightly smaller toward the back so it doesn't show now that the side number plates (part of the rear fender) are smaller. According to Mark at GoFasters the 2010 air box parts should fit the 07-09 bikes if you want to update to 2010 plastics. The new air box covers are supposed to be much easier to get on and off. The new shrouds fit the 07-09 bikes as well and are much stronger and look a lot better.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Site Sponsor

The Canadian Dist has 2010 Cross Counrty models in stock. Headlight but no taillight.
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold