Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Default snaped head mount

hi i have owend my 2003 gaser 250 for about 1 month the last time i used it i noticed it was vibrating alot figured the engine was lose i was a bout 30 miles from home so i continued to use it next thing i no the to mouning lug on the head has snaped clean off and the bike was vibrating like a paint shaker fromm hell. can i get it welded if not weare can i buy a new head from

Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to GasGasRider.org

You will need to find out why it's vibrating so much.
The head stay should not snap off like you mentioned.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM

I had the same thing happen to me after building some stainless motor mounts for my 07. New head from the dealer was around $130 cdn I believe and he had it in a few days, I wouldn't mess around with welding it it'll probably warp. After replacing the head and mounts I went through and loctited all the other mount bolts and haven't had an issue since. One thing I noticed on the 2010 is that the motor mount bolts on the bottom of the motor look bigger than the older ones. Somebody on here may have a used one as well.

Wes.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:41 AM

I replace mine with 1/4" thick one I make myself out of aluminum. If your motor mounts get loose it doesn't take long to break the stock ones. When I make mine I cut to length 2 1' x 1/4 " thick strips I drill 5/16" hole in one end of the 2 strips. I put one side on starting with the frame bolt. I then drill the hole in the other end of the strip using the cylinder head to position the the second hole. I repeat the process for the other side. They will not be slotted anymore and are a little harder to install when you replace parts but I have yet to break one. I have broken lots of the stock ones. Please keep in mind that I am a little harder on my bike than the common rider. I know most rider don't have problems. It's funny that when I start taking other gasgas riders riding they start breaking the same parts as me. The cylinder head stay is one of those parts. It is one of the reasons I go through shim mania when I put a bike together. The bolts stay seam to stay torqued longer.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM

I did the same thing and added a separate mounting hole for rad guards with the mount extended back for more strength. My bike is built well as al seems to line up perfect, better than my '03 for sure.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 PM

Glen your radiator guard idea with the lower pipe isolators in the top has been the best shroud/radiator protection I have used. I have been making them with a hex lug and integrated inner spacers. I to have thought about making a additional strut off the headstay for radiator protection. The stock gasgas headstays are silly.