Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Default E start issues

Folks,

I've got a 2014 ec250 that has had the 2015 e start kit retrofitted to it.

The E-start has never worked properly, it just makes an awful squealing noise but fails to turn over the engine. It appears the bendix is ok and is engaging with the crownwheel

I stripped the bendix down last week and cleaned and oiled it, all teeth are present and are if good condition.

Any ideas?

It may be something as simple as a flat battery or misalignment.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostin3 View Post
Folks,

I've got a 2014 ec250 that has had the 2015 e start kit retrofitted to it.

The E-start has never worked properly, it just makes an awful squealing noise but fails to turn over the engine. It appears the bendix is ok and is engaging with the crownwheel

I stripped the bendix down last week and cleaned and oiled it, all teeth are present and are if good condition.

Any ideas?

It may be something as simple as a flat battery or misalignment.
As long as it makes a awful noise, I guess the battery is OK. Did you try another battery?

What about the sprag clutch on the crank? Did you check that it engages correctly?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-11-2017, 05:41 AM

No I haven't checked that.

What is the spray clutch and what is it's function?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostin3 View Post
No I haven't checked that.

What is the spray clutch and what is it's function?

Thanks
A sprag clutch is a one-way rotating mechanism that free-wheels in one direction and locks up in the other. Used to ensure that the starter doesn't keep on rotating after the engine starts. But Wait a bit. Perhaps there is no sprag in the GG start mechanism?

I just checked the parts list. There is no such thing in the GG. Sorry for the confusion I made.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-11-2017, 09:54 AM

I have no direct knowledge on the 2015 parts, however a sprag clutch is a normal requirement of an electric start assembly. It is inside the bendix unit. The individiual sprag elements are lightly tensioned by a "gathering spring". They are hidden behind a sheetmetal cover that must be moved to make the internal parts visible.

Some folks have improved the estart action by lightly stretching the gathering spring. The best solution is to replace the bendix with one from a scooter. The part number is in other threads about estart problems. My take on things is that the the main bendix return spring is too strong in the stock GG assembly. It is not a drop in replacement and requires pressing the drive gear etc.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM

The 2015 bendix is different to the Honda scooter one.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 AM

I suggest you clean the outside of the bendix, cam it to full extension and wrap some tape around it to hold it open. Install it without the starter motor and see if you can verify the gear tooth engagement. Loose is better than tight.

Usually the bendix does not work well because the strong return spring slows it down. Alternately, if the gathering spring is tight, the cam weights don't let the assembly fling out for quick gear engagement. The bendix won't work at all if the gathering spring is stretched too far. I found that grease was also able to slow down the bendix. A light oil was better.

These thoughts are based on the older units and may not apply to your year. The bendix relies on a quick burst of rotation and requires a good battery to work reliably.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM

I got there in the end.

The bendix turned out to be Ok, it was actually the motor. When I'm the bench, I noticed that half of the time the motor was spinning CW and the other half the time spinning CCW.

I cleaned the motor and commutator and reassembled and it is now working fine.