Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:42 AM

Guessing you're racing CEC, TBEC or Fast Eddy. Fast Eddy used to do short training sessions at his practice days where you could ask directly about technique on the same sort of ground. I guess they're probably still doing it.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

One characteristic that most GasGas bikes have is the ability to turn quickly; especially under power.

If a rider can do his slowing for a turn, then just a microsecond before he initiates the direction change he hits the throttle, the bike will corner like it is on rails.
This technique will bring you out of a corner a full 10 mph faster than "slowing, turning, and then accelerating out of the turn".

It was un-natural for me to do this.
I had to practice it at low speeds, and then keep it up while I went faster. For a long time, I had to do the slow speed drill each riding day, until it became natural. It really pays off.
(This works especially well for the 2002-2004 chassis, which is more stable but slower turning than other early models. It has worked very well for me on all of them, even the 2011.)

Good Riding and Racing to You!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
One characteristic that most GasGas bikes have is the ability to turn quickly; especially under power.

If a rider can do his slowing for a turn, then just a microsecond before he initiates the direction change he hits the throttle, the bike will corner like it is on rails.
This technique will bring you out of a corner a full 10 mph faster than "slowing, turning, and then accelerating out of the turn".

It was un-natural for me to do this.
I had to practice it at low speeds, and then keep it up while I went faster. For a long time, I had to do the slow speed drill each riding day, until it became natural. It really pays off.
(This works especially well for the 2002-2004 chassis, which is more stable but slower turning than other early models. It has worked very well for me on all of them, even the 2011.)

Good Riding and Racing to You!
Jim

Could you expand on this? I was taught to accelerate coming out of the corner sitting far forward on the seat, pushing hard on the outside footpeg, with my inside leg even with the fork tube, and my head plumb with the contact patch of the front tire.

Is my seating still correct but my throttle wrong?

What is your body positioning when accelerating through a corner?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
Could you expand on this? I was taught to accelerate coming out of the corner sitting far forward on the seat, pushing hard on the outside footpeg, with my inside leg even with the fork tube, and my head plumb with the contact patch of the front tire.

Is my seating still correct but my throttle wrong?

What is your body positioning when accelerating through a corner?
Your positioning and weighting the outside footpeg sounds good to me, although I try to keep both feet on the pegs in the tight woods.
(Weighting the outside footpeg was the only way to keep the old '87 WR430 Husky hooked up when cornering; so I've been doing it a long time. On the GasGas, it all depends on what's happening as to how much weight I put on that outside peg.)
I always lean forward with my crotch up on the tank when I'm in a hurry exiting the turns. My crotch moves up to the tank as I'm hitting the front brake.

I was simply suggesting that you try whacking the throttle open "on the way" to turning the bike (twist the throttle as you go to move the bars), so that it turns faster and gives you a faster exit speed; which gives you a head start towards the next turn. I found it gave me a noticeably higher exit speed when I mastered it. The GasGas bikes amaze me with their ability to turn under power.
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Your positioning and weighting the outside footpeg sounds good to me, although I try to keep both feet on the pegs in the tight woods.
(Weighting the outside footpeg was the only way to keep the old '87 WR430 Husky hooked up when cornering; so I've been doing it a long time. On the GasGas, it all depends on what's happening as to how much weight I put on that outside peg.)
I always lean forward with my crotch up on the tank when I'm in a hurry exiting the turns. My crotch moves up to the tank as I'm hitting the front brake.

I was simply suggesting that you try whacking the throttle open "on the way" to turning the bike (twist the throttle as you go to move the bars), so that it turns faster and gives you a faster exit speed; which gives you a head start towards the next turn. I found it gave me a noticeably higher exit speed when I mastered it. The GasGas bikes amaze me with their ability to turn under power.
Very interesting. I'm going to try this.... In a wide open pasture!

If I think it through in my head it would deweight the front tire and lose traction. But maybe I should stop thinking so much and go for a ride.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Different techniques for different corners.

But sweeping corners offering limited traction quite often the quickest way around is sideways!

Some good examples here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xfpU0yIpG4
Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Different techniques for different corners.

But sweeping corners offering limited traction quite often the quickest way around is sideways!

Some good examples here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xfpU0yIpG4
I lack the testicular fortitude to try that move yet. Maybe this coming summer....
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Very interesting. I'm going to try this.... In a wide open pasture!

If I think it through in my head it would deweight the front tire and lose traction. But maybe I should stop thinking so much and go for a ride.
Since your weight will have shifted forward from dragging the front brake and already loaded the front tire, the tire will bite as you gas it and turn. But, you need to hit the gas as you are letting off the brake, just as you start to "throw" the bars. (tight woods tree dodging)
Do it in "slow motion" first, to get the timing down.
My natural inclination is to slow down, turn, and gas it. That is not the fast way. It turns much better under power, when I slow down, gas it, and turn.

Let me know how it works for you.

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Since your weight will have shifted forward from dragging the front brake and already loaded the front tire, the tire will bite as you gas it and turn. But, you need to hit the gas as you are letting off the brake, just as you start to "throw" the bars. (tight woods tree dodging)
Do it in "slow motion" first, to get the timing down.
My natural inclination is to slow down, turn, and gas it. That is not the fast way. It turns much better under power, when I slow down, gas it, and turn.

Let me know how it works for you.

Tried it.. Key word being tried... lol

I think I got it right about 3 or 4 times cause my bikes seemed to shoot out of the corner way faster than normal those few times.
I assume you are using this on corners near or over 90 degree's mostly?

Certainly made me think about my technique. I hope to spend a lot more time on this over the winter and into next year. Cornering is where I can gain a ton of time and I need to get better at it!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Tried it.. Key word being tried... lol

I think I got it right about 3 or 4 times cause my bikes seemed to shoot out of the corner way faster than normal those few times.
I assume you are using this on corners near or over 90 degree's mostly?

Certainly made me think about my technique. I hope to spend a lot more time on this over the winter and into next year. Cornering is where I can gain a ton of time and I need to get better at it!
I appreciate that you tried my suggestion.

It will help you dodge trees in the single track best of all; but yes, I was speaking of sharp corners.

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!