Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:14 AM

Default 2007 EC300 loose engine

Hi,

I have a 2007 EC 300 that has a lot of movement at the mounts where the swingarm bolt passes through the engine.
I know there are hat type bushes that push into the swing arm but should there be anything similar that goes into the cases?

Appreciate any help

Cheers
Col

Old 11-12-2018, 05:06 AM

Hi Col

No there isn't anything that goes inside the engine cases.

See the attached image taken from the Parts List, I've arrowed the two 'Swingarm Bushing' part 43, I think that's the part you mentioned. Are these fitted correctly?

What about the the other parts I've arrowed, part 9 'Right Rocker Arm Support' and part 12 'Left Rocker Arm Support'. Are these fitted correctly? The swinging arm pivot bolt passes through these. See the dotted line I've marked on the 2nd picture.

It should be a snug fit when you push the swinging arm into place, with maybe just a bit of movement, then once you tighten the swinging arm pivot bolt to the specified torque, the play should disappear with no movement possible of the engine and no sideways movement of the swinging arm. The swinging arm should pivot nice and smoothly on it's bearings as if the suspension was moving.

All the best, Dave.

Swing.jpg

Dotted.JPG

Here's a photo with the Right and Left Rocker Arm Supports arrowed. These also act as spacers, so if they're not in place you will have too much play.

pivot.jpg

Last edited by Davehuge; 11-12-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:19 AM

Also...

The swinging arm pivot bolt usually has a flat on it's right side end, stops it rotating, check this is in it's correct position.

flat.JPG

Last edited by Davehuge; 11-12-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:26 AM

Are you in the middle of refitting the engine and swinging arm back into the frame or have you just suddenly noticed there's movement?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Is it possible that you do not have the original engine or frame? The bikes before 2000 or 2001 had engines and frames that used a smaller diameter swing arm axle. I also heard the bottom engine mount was relocated after 2006.

I put a 2004 engine in a 2000 frame one time and needed to machine some aluminum inserts to put into the engine case to take up the gap for the smaller swingarm pivot shaft. I found that a Maglite AA flash had a correct interior diameter for the shaft but the outside needed to have a little material removed to fit in the cases.

I guess it is also possible that if the bike was ridden with a loose swing arm shaft that it could wear the engine cases and make them a loose.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:21 AM

The rocker arm supports previously mentioned have a habit of wearing out on high mileage/hour bikes. I've had to buy several replacements over the years.

You definitely want to solve this problem before running the bike any further. I have an engine that actually has a wear hole in it because these were not replaced in time.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk74 View Post
The rocker arm supports previously mentioned have a habit of wearing out on high mileage/hour bikes.
That's interesting to know and something to look out for, although I don't understand why it would wear? Once the swinging arm pivot bolt is tightened up there shouldn't be anything moving or rubbing to make them wear. Which part of the rocker arm support was worn?

How are you getting on Col? Let us know.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM

Thanks very much for the replies, it?s much appreciated.
I seized the bike on a trail ride a few years ago (split hose) and dropped it into a local workshop for a rebuild. He had it 6 months and when it came back the vibration was pretty bad, it came back rusty and with cracked plastics. The guy has since gone out of business I think. I didn?t get a chance to ride it until recently due to other commitments.
I can get a lever and move the engine at the swingarm pivot maybe 10mm. It?s a bit like Zman said, like the hole through the cases is too big.
I?ll strip it down myself this week and see if it matches the parts diagrams, also I?ll try to take a measurement of the hole through the cases.
Thanks again guys, I?ll be back with more questions I?m sure!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 AM

If you can move the engine 10mm then I would say it's not just wear, I reckon there must be something missing and it should be pretty obvious once you get it apart.

Sounds like a terrible workshop, no wonder he went out of business.

What part of the UK are you in?

Best of luck, Dave.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
That's interesting to know and something to look out for, although I don't understand why it would wear? Once the swinging arm pivot bolt is tightened up there shouldn't be anything moving or rubbing to make them wear. Which part of the rocker arm support was worn?

How are you getting on Col? Let us know.
The part of the rocker arm that contacts the engine. I am not sure what caused it to wear either, but it was quite thin when I replaced it. The swing-arm bolt was loose, but I know for sure I torqued it down prior, but who can say. I was constantly tightening the motor mount bolts and breaking head stay bars on that particular bike. My 2011 does not seem to be so bad.