Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Billy Burns And The Future

Hello,

I have wanted to post a thread before someone else did so here goes.

My ISDE experience was unbelievable and whatever I do or don't do in the future will have NOTHING to do with the fact that my swingarm broke. I was the luckiest Gas GAs rider in Greece. The factory hand built my bike (as promised) and the problems that I had were my fault not the bike. Day 1 and 2 I had a clutch overheating problem, my fault for not changing the gearing for the steep hills. Day 3 I got a hole in my front tire, again my fault for not changing it the day before. Day 4 the swing arm broke, again my fault for picking a bad line and landing on the rock. Sure maybe it shouldn't happen, it has onlt happened twice with Gas Gas. I was the lucky one who became famous for breaking a swingarm. Not exactly how I wanted to become famous but it happened. For the record, my bike was great. The motor and suspension was amazing. I just should have trusted myself and geared it like my bikes back here in the USA. I didn't until day 5 and then the clutch was fine. The in course of climbing the mountain we went up 6000 ft and that should give you all and idea of just how steep that the mountain got in places.

Many people know that I rode a KTM at last weeks New England enduro. A good friend of mine, Brooks Hamilton (the East Coast Sales Rep for KTM), gave me an opportunity to try a brand new 2009 KTM 250 xc and I will try it again this weekend at the Rocktoberfast Enduro as I want to be able to compare it to my Gas Gas in the rocks. Mark Berg from Go-Faster's has made me a very good offer for next season but so has Brooks and KTM. I want to make it very clear to everyone who knows me that this is a very tough decision for me to make. I truley believe that I can ride any bike pretty good reguardless of what name is on the bike. I like my Gas Gas for different reasons than I like the KTM. That being said everyone who knows me can guess just how much I spend on racing each year.(to much) At age 40 I have certain goals for myself and I realize that riding at the level at which I want to ride at will soon be over. This means that I will probably be taking what is the best deal for me and not necessarily what others would like me to do. This is very hard for me as it goes against my personal principles. I believe that it isn't just about the best deal but instead more about the relationship. KTM didn't step up last year but now they have and it is mostly because of my relatioship with Brooks. Gas Gas was amazing at the ISDE and Mark and Steve have done the best that they can with a small budget in 08. I have loved running the National Enduro series and together we won a National Title in the A-200 class. We are currently sitting second in the New Endland Enduro Series (behind Brooks) and my Gas Gas has been very good to me in the rocks! I will be making a decision in the next week as to how I will finish out my 2008 season and what I will be doing for 2009.

Thank you to everyone who has been a supporter in my quest to reach my racing goals for 2008. I could not have done any of this without my sponsors or my friends and supporters. This has been a dream season for me and it is nearing the end with only 4 enduros to go.

Respectfully,
Billy Burns

Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM

No one was more shocked than me when you switched to GG (well, maybe Gary).
Thanks for putting GG in the spotlight and on the podium this year.
You've done a lot to convince people that these are reliable, winning bikes.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Bottom line is you have to do what's best for YOU. Especially in this lovely economy of ours. Gas Gas or KTM, both great bikes but if KTM is going to be able to better help you meet your goals then so be it. It's been fun seeing the GG near the top of the NETRA enduro standings all year and following your results in the National enduro wars. I think we were all pulling for you to get that elusive overall NETRA enduro victory on the GG though.

Good luck with whatever you choose but reading between the lines I get the feeling there is orange in you future.

Skidad
Old 09-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Do what is best for you Billy. Do not let them talk you into something you feel is not right. No matter what you ride in 09 Girard & I will still talk to you and we will still throw some steaks on the grill for you & Jim over in the Gasser pit's!

At the end of the day it is about the BBD (Bigger Better Deal).

Boomer
Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Billy, you have to be very proud of yourself!
You are in a position that every racer dreams of, to be in a bidding war for sponsorship.

Who's giving you a Team Sprinter van?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:27 AM

I think it might be close to being a done deal.

Skidad

Last edited by Skidad; 09-27-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
Bottom line is you have to do what's best for YOU. Especially in this lovely economy of ours. Gas Gas or KTM, both great bikes but if KTM is going to be able to better help you meet your goals then so be it. It's been fun seeing the GG near the top of the NETRA enduro standings all year and following your results in the National enduro wars. I think we were all pulling for you to get that elusive overall NETRA enduro victory on the GG though.

Good luck with whatever you choose but reading between the lines I get the feeling there is orange in you future.

Skidad
WELL SEEMS TO ME BIG BAD BROOKS IS DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO KEEP GG OUT OF THE TOP RESULTS. GREAT JOB THIS YEAR BILLY. THANKS FOR THE RESULTS YOU HAVE BEEN PRODUCING. I WILL STILL LIKE YOU EVEN IF YOU DO END UP BEING A PUMPKIN HEAD!! HECK BACK IN 1984 YOU RAN A DUCT TAPE BIKE, LET'S TRY IT FOR 09. I WILL SUPPLY THE TAPE. RED BIKE ORANGE DUCT TAPE? SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN TO ME. GREAT JOB BILLY!!!!!!!! TELL BROOKS TO START TRAINING FOR NEXT YEAR, HE MAY END UP SEEING MORE GG'S IN THE HUNT FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP. SHHHHHHHHHHH I MAY HAVE TO BUST OUT MY BAG OF TRICKS. I AM SENDING PURCELL TO THE GYM!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONALD BRUNDIGE View Post
WELL SEEMS TO ME BIG BAD BROOKS IS DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO KEEP GG OUT OF THE TOP RESULTS. GREAT JOB THIS YEAR BILLY. THANKS FOR THE RESULTS YOU HAVE BEEN PRODUCING. I WILL STILL LIKE YOU EVEN IF YOU DO END UP BEING A PUMPKIN HEAD!! HECK BACK IN 1984 YOU RAN A DUCT TAPE BIKE, LET'S TRY IT FOR 09. I WILL SUPPLY THE TAPE. RED BIKE ORANGE DUCT TAPE? SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN TO ME. GREAT JOB BILLY!!!!!!!! TELL BROOKS TO START TRAINING FOR NEXT YEAR, HE MAY END UP SEEING MORE GG'S IN THE HUNT FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP. SHHHHHHHHHHH I MAY HAVE TO BUST OUT MY BAG OF TRICKS. I AM SENDING PURCELL TO THE GYM!!!
Haha! I got to meet Purcell in Minnesota. That guy is crazy but in a fun way! He and Red were awesome guys!

Billy Burns For President!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Who's giving you a Team Sprinter van?
Yeah and what kind of Umbrella girls come with it?
Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 PM

Guys,

You are all way ahead of yourselves. No-one is in a bidding war, I wish but I am not that important. God wouldn't that be great if I were. My friend Brooks is willing to help me out just as my other friend Mark has offered too. They both have offered to help but with different deals and a local dealer here at home has stepped up big time. I am very lucky to have many people willing to help me out. I also have many bikes in my garage and one is still a Gas Gas and I will be adding another Gas Gas in about a month. (my ISDE bike will be here next month) As for next year, I'm not 100% positive what brand but I can say this; I will be at the National enduros riding in the A-200 class on a 200 and I will contest the NETRA Enduro series on a 250 and I am planning on trying to go back to the ISDE to get my medal and will be on a 250 if that happens.

I hope that this clears a few things up. I will be deciding by Friday just what brand I will be on.

Last edited by BILLYBURNS; 09-27-2008 at 04:02 PM.