Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Where to find parts for 97 GasGas250EC?

My Brother-in-law picked a VERY used 97 Gasgas 250EC and he needs some parts for it. I've searched the net, but couldn't find anything. Some things he needs:

Clutch basket
Plastic (used is good)
fuel petcock

Also, I believe the front forks are completely shot. Is there a crossover retrofit forks that would work?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM

clutch basket will have to be stock, from gofasters, or a used one, plastic....not a clue, call gofasters and see what they can do, and keep an eye on the parts section and see if they put up a set of triple clamps and forks, he could probably convert it to USD forks. WP, zooks, ohlins, ive heard good and bad on all three, but i have wp and they are easy to work on, and will be sufficient forks.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM

http://www.sandifordoffroad.co.uk/s3...els-3169-p.asp
found a basket, i dont think they changed at all over the years. bout 200 bucks american.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The plastic. At least the fenders and the side plates all are direct crossover with Kawasaki KX 250 parts from the era. You can get it in white. Maybe you can find red from Acerbis, I don't know why I think that, but just maybe.

Forks: You can retrofit anything you want on there so long as you have the triple clamp for the new fork. Don't forget about the wheel though. It would be easiest to find a whole front end from a different bike. Any bike. The conventional fork Suzukis from that era had incredible forks on them. THey were Showas, probably the best Showas ever made. I'd bet you could find a whole Suzuki RM 125 with that front end for $500. Swap the front end, then resell for $500. FREE!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM

I have a complete front end for sale. 43mm Wp's with clamps, axle and spacers. I also have the front brake setup as well. It's off a 2003 GasGas ec 450.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the info!!! That clutch basket is a little high...maybe we'll just take it in to the machinist to fix.

Good suggestions on the front forks Roostafish! I have a spare set of 95 CR500 forks laying around that had been valved for the woods (like a bull in a china shop, eh?) that are too soft for my style of riding. I'll start taking measurements on stem/bearing diameters, but I'm learning towards the early Suzuki route more. I'll check with our local bike recycling yard.

GasGas: Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure it's a pretty penny for that setup. We're trying to minimize costs to get this thing up and running...don't want to spend $2K on a $1K bike.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM

why not send the shocks out for rebuild? I think I paid less than $200 when I had mine done by LTR (one of this sites sponsors) and he revalved them for me. I'm thinking you have conventional Marzochi's? They were a good shock.
For that matter there may be a .pdf floating around that has the info to do it yourself. I've had my WP's and my kids Shivers apart. Not hard if you have access to air tools.
As for plastic there was recently a set of blue on ebay. Just keep watching. Plastic for your bike is interchangeable up to 2001 I think. And with a newer air box you can use plastic from '02 to '06 (it's the side panels and filter access that changed)
people are parting these out all the time on this site and ebay, just keep checking back or post in the "want to buy/want to trade" section.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:38 AM

I've been searching ebay, but those blue sets must've went quick. He said the front forks are just too soft for desert riding and I believe he has been running 'em dry!