Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 PM

Default Tacho for gasgas 2 Bangers

Im the proud new owner of a new 2006 GasGas EC300 and found that the tacho doesnt operate on the multi function display. After asking the shop to repair or replace the cause i was told the tacho isnt used on the 2 strokes. Is there a fix or an adaptation so that the tacho works with the 2 strokes. Seems a real waste to have the cool new multi display and not use all the features.

Im a newbie to gasgas bikes but love this 300 2 banger, will chug up the narliest hill and launch you to the horizon with a twist of the wrist.

Chris

Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgasgasec300 View Post
Im the proud new owner of a new 2006 GasGas EC300 and found that the tacho doesnt operate on the multi function display. After asking the shop to repair or replace the cause i was told the tacho isnt used on the 2 strokes. Is there a fix or an adaptation so that the tacho works with the 2 strokes. Seems a real waste to have the cool new multi display and not use all the features.

Im a newbie to gasgas bikes but love this 300 2 banger, will chug up the narliest hill and launch you to the horizon with a twist of the wrist.

Chris
Why don't the people who sell these know how to hook it up? You would think they'd have more of a clue than a few guys on a web forum.
I'm not taking credit for it, I think it was Kent? that told me how to do it when I asked.
But anyway, check smackover's forum as I and others have posted how to connect it up. And yes it works , but rarely do you have time to look at it!
It is good for verifying idle speed, plus it stores max rpm to check how the gearing is working though. You can even set the max rpm, so it starts blinking when you hit whatever rpm you set it to.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately im a bit new to the whole forum scene, so im having trouble finding the fourm you are refering to. Is Smackover a member or another forum?

Found the Smackover site but their forum is offline for an undisclosed period of time. So does anyone have the directions on their PC? Or can u relist the instructions here, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgasgasec300 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately im a bit new to the whole forum scene, so im having trouble finding the fourm you are refering to. Is Smackover a member or another forum?

Found the Smackover site but their forum is offline for an undisclosed period of time. So does anyone have the directions on their PC? Or can u relist the instructions here, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Chris
The forum is still going.
http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/bb/index.php

It was SimonR who posted the fix. Here is a copy/paste for you.

Under the seat you will see that there is a blanked off yellow wire. You have to join this wire to the blue and white wire to get the tacho to work.

You can download a manual for it from the company that makes it (Acewell)
http://www.acewell-meter.com/pro3.as...TV%20Computers

The settings to use for SPC is 1.0 (means 1 spark per revolution)
and I think I use the wheel circumference of 1900mm to get an accurate speed as per my gps. I'll confirm later, but using the size recommened for a 21" wheel was way off.
With the engine running, hold both buttons down to go into the setup, left one is to select, and the right one is to set. Turn engine off to save the settings.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. This forum rocks.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 AM

I'm in the process of retro-fitting an Acewell 3100 computer to my EC250. Can I use the same info? Just connect the yellow wire to the blue and white wire from the coil?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 PM

Hey guys, tacho now works a treat. Took her out for the virgin ride last weekend. This bike is a tractor, so much pull. Only complaint i have is the bolt that holds the kick starter together vibrated out and meant i couldnt ride the sunday. Will be sure to locktite the new bolt in.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Hey guys, tacho now works a treat. Took her out for the virgin ride last weekend. This bike is a tractor, so much pull. Only complaint i have is the bolt that holds the kick starter together vibrated out and meant i couldnt ride the sunday. Will be sure to locktite the new bolt in.

I measureed the wheel circumferance on the garage floor and foun dit to be 2125mm Thta measurement of 1900 should be way out. I am yet to verify the accuracy with my gps, will update.

Chris
Old 11-05-2006, 07:54 AM

i think the measurements they give are for rims only, not taking into account the tyre. i had to measure my wheel circ. myself as the data they gave was out.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Does this apply to the 07 models as I can’t seem to find a blanked off yellow wire under my seat. I fact there are no yellow wires under the seat at all. The only yellow wire on my bike comes from the ignition? (On the right side of the frame behind the radiator). If anyone has any ideas I would be interested in hooking this up. If I can’t then I guess its no big loss but would be interesting to know your max revs.

Thanks
Kerry