Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Moab: awesome

Late in getting my ride report from trip to Moab October. 5-9. Trip had been planned for 2 years with a group from work. We ended up with 6 of us leaving Porland, OR at 5 am Sunday morning.

I had the only Gasser. We had 2 KTM 200's, 1 was brand new 2015 loaded with everything and not ever ridden. 2 Yamahas, YZ250f and WR450 and a KTM 525.

Landed in Moab around 1 am Monday morning.

Our digs for the week:

Nice place that was perfect for our group of 6.

Monday's plan was a fairly easy route to warm up. We decided on Gemini Bridges. Having missed the beauty on the night drive in, I was shocked by how stunning it is! We hit the trail around 11 am and we had a wonderful 1st day. We rode the road out to Metal Masher and jumped in. So much fun! The slick rock is awesome! Nothing too technical, but some good ledges to climb and just a blast. After Metal Masher we headed back for a bite to eat and then went back out to Bull Canyon for some beautiful scenery and fun ripping up old creek beds. Perfect 1st day. Everyone rode awesome and we hit 50 miles on the nose.

Pics from 1st day:

Day 2 we decided to hit the Sovereign trail system. Sovereign trail itself is 2 track where you pretend you're in the Baja 1000. We also hit the Sovereign singletrack which was very cool. We tackled a double black diamond run into a deep creek bed which was awesome. Another amazing day with more beautiful scenery and sweet riding. 48 miles. Pure bliss

Day 2:

Final day of riding and we couldn't leave without hitting Kane Creek. Super fun trial that follows Kane Creek. You cross the creek at least 20 times and rail off the sand berms in between. Probably one of the most fun days I've ever had on a dirt bike. Giggling the whole time. 45 miles and a great way to end the 3 days of riding.

Day 3:

Our gnarly crew:

It was definitely a bucket list trip and I had a blast. I'd love to head back. Lots more to explore and such a different experience than what we ride here in the NW. Perfect mix of technical and 2 track. Only mishaps were one rear flat on day 3 and a slight crash on day 1 resulting in a torn up elbow (why you'd leave your elbow pads in your bag on day 1 of riding in the rockiest place on earth is beyond me). Bikes all performed well and I rode the 2015 KTM 200 a bit which was awesome and the 525 which was pretty cool too. Great group of guys and everyone stepped up and rode like champs. Nothing like a riding road trip. Can't wait for the next one.

On a side note: 1 of the things I've had on my bucket list was to buy a brand new bike off the showroom floor. But, after watching that brand new 2015 KTM get bashed and scratched on its maiden voyage, I don't think it's a dream of mine anymore! It wasn't even my bike and I was cringing at every scratch and ding.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Sounds awesome! I lived near MOAB as a kid, but never went. Would love to now!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the write up - sounds like you had a blast :-)

Always wanted to go to the Jeep Jamboree in Easter for a bit of wheeling, one day maybe. Pretty expensive getting there from here
Old 10-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

That's awesome Russ, looks like a great trip out there

Hitting Moab is one of the things I want to do at some point down the road too - read tons of cool stuff from a couple of the forums

Did you guys trailer out to the trails each morning, or could your ride?

I need to get out for a rip, been visiting family for the last ~2 weeks and haven't been on my bike since the Lyda trip a month ago

Great pics man, scenery looks outstanding and I bet it was so fun to hit those trails.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing!! Moab is just incredible..........
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500