Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

The only failing with the Motoz, at least whatever model I have, is that they don't work well in deep mud. Good in sand, good in all conditions except for sticky, slick clay mud.

You can drop the psi nice and low as they have a stiff caracass, probably would be good with Tubliss. I believe most of the models from Motoz are DOT compliant as well.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 PM

Great NW tire. I've run them for 3 seasons I think. Agree with everyone else's thoughts.

Putting new tractionator IT on front for the season. Love the rear too, but run a trials tire.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Hey NW guys. Are you buying theses tires from Kelly at Motosportz in Vancouver, WA ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM

Yep. Kelly is good people. Other options, but nice to support the local guy.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 AM

Ended up getting the motoz IT Interm 120/90-18 and 100/90-21. Will see how they fair for me. Thanks for the replys
STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
You can drop the psi nice and low as they have a stiff caracass, probably would be good with Tubliss.
i ride with a guy who loves these.
only tire his husaberg 650 doesnt shred quickly.

i have a tubliss and a trials tire.
i rum pirelli mt43 which is the thickest sidewall of all trials tires
but i am looking at running a desert AT knobby which has a heavier sidewall than the normal knobby.

this may be an option for me instead of the dunlop AT
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
Hey NW guys. Are you buying theses tires from Kelly at Motosportz in Vancouver, WA ?
Thanks
Yep, bought 2 sets of 'em from Kelly last season.

To add to firffighter's comments - I couldn't get up to Vancouver to pick the tires up (didn't want to pay the extra shipping charge), so Kelly being the good guy that he is actually dropped them off at PIR (local race track) for me while I was out shredding really expensive Pirelli race tires...lol.

Onespeed - you'll have to post a report of your impressions when you get a few rides on those tires - that's the exact set I ran with on my old orange 300.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Motoz

I've run quite a few Motoz tires over the last few years.

Desert H/T: Not my favorite of the bunch, but makes a good dual sport tire set. Good straight line traction in soft(er) conditions (aka DESERT) but didn't corner well at all offroad. On the flip side, it could hold a corner on the asphalt well enough to drag peg. Braking hard offroad= instant slide, you have to really get your weight over the rear and ease into the brakes to make it bite. Front tire is okay in harder terrain, but just doesn't seem to have enough "bite" in the turns and likes to step out on you a little on road (I'm use to the back letting go first, but not with these tires... understeer is a bit of a problem) Lasts a reasonably long time (I got ~1600 out of the rear.)

S/T: worst front tire I have ever run for ANY condition. I threw it away when it still had 80%+ tread. This made me lose all faith in their fronts as they all have similar patterns so I only use their rears now. Haven't tried the rear S/T.

X-circuit: I love the rear tire for all around riding, corners great in hard and soft conditions, straight line traction is great, lasts forever (1800 miles on one running it in the correct direction, 2500 miles on one running "backwards") I had an issue with the rear packing in sticky clay and snow so I tried running my 2nd one backwards. That did the trick and keeps the tread clean and still seems to pull just as well everywhere. I did notice that when running it backwards that it would tend to "drift" towards the downslope of any offcamber more than most tires. Braking is decent, but it still doesn't quite feel like a typical knobby, it wanders around when you brake hard with the tire mounted "normal" but stays pretty straight when the tire is mounted "backwards."

I/T: Just mounted a rear up about 200 miles ago and so far, so good. Has better straight line traction than the above listed tires, corners better in softer conditions than the x-circuit, doesn't pack in the mud that I've had it in so far, loud as $h!+ on road. Braking performance offroad is noticeably better than the x-circuit and more inline with what I expect from a typical knobby. I would say that it does not feel any better than the x-circuit in hard conditions. It still manages to hold a corner on the asphalt well enough for me to get me in trouble with the law, but not as good as the x-circuit or the H/T... still better than any other knobbies I've used over the years. If this can last 1500+ miles, it will be my new "go-to" on my dual sport, if not, I will keep buying the x-circuit and never look back.

Keep in mind that all of these were run on a KTM690 (65+ HP, 329lbs wet, ready to ride) using 130/90/18 rears and ridden like a real dirtbike, not the "old man dualsport" that most seem to use it for. On the GasGas the only one of the bunch that I would consider would be the I/T or S/T rear.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 03-20-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Braking
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Buddy let me know these were being discussed and my name tossed around so...

Tires are hugely subjective as we all know. I ride NW slick clay technical deep woods trails mostly. Sometimes I ride Central oregon high dez. Here is my take.

HT - As posted above, crazy durable, great DS tire, rear aired down to about 5 psi works well off road. Good tire for certain stuff. Front i dont really care for but dont ride the type of stuff it is designed for.

IT - DOT and good all around tire. Sell piles of those and people seem to like them. Front wears forever. Good for most terrains but not the ultimate mud tire

ST - Good tire and as advertised leans towards softer dirt more. Sell a lot of these too. Will chuck a little after a bunch of miles in rocks.

Terrapactor - This tire is billed as a lightweight MX tire but has become my favorite front tire ever for NW off road. Many faster guys seem to like these and they stick really well. Not as robust as the enduro tires but i have not had issues.

For winter I like the Terrapactor front and ST/IT rear.

For do it all summer / DS I like the HT rear and IT front

For reference I like the Bridgestone M59 front and various pirellis from other manufacturers. Many around here swear by the Mich S12 or M12 but i hate those tires and end up ripping the sidewalls and getting flats while not getting much traction. In loam with new ones they are fantastic but what isnt.

Take care
Kelly