Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:26 AM

Default My First Clutch Repair

I'm replacing a EFM auto and going back standard on a '02 300XC.

I've gotten as far as the clutch boss and need to get the clutch boss nut off. Can you tell me the best method for doing this? What is this the torque spec for this nut? (How tight is it?) Should I leave one plate in to help hold the boss in place?

again, I am totally ignorant to all this and am looking at the parts fiche for guidance. I'm positive I'll be asking you for more help.

Thanks in advance, John

Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 AM

I use an impact wrench, 3/8" drive pneumatic works fine for that nut. Just hold the basket with a glove hand or rag. Torque spec is 60 Nm. To torque it you will have to jam the primary with something soft like copper. Since I used the same clutch basket, I simply tightened the nut with the impact tool to the same position as it was. The 3/8" drive tool does not have enough torque to get you into trouble here, do not do this with a 1/2" tool. Note: the clutch nut is a clockwise thread, but the crank pinion is a reverse counterclockwise thread.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM

John, I have been stuffing the jug with nylon rope through the sparkplug hole with piston up past the exhaust port. With the head full of rope the crank stops spinning. I then use a stack of old clutch discs and plates clamped tight with opposing vise grips and slide them in the basket and hub and everything is then held nice and snug. Take your time and don't rush and you will do fine. Did you print the manual for the newer bikes, it is quite helpfull.

Paul B
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Oh Hey, the rope thing reminded me of something. I have a tool that I recieved from Steahly fly wheel that I used to get the flywheel nut off my Husky, should do the same as rope right? It's a plastic spark plug shaped thingy that is a bit longer. I do have a printed manual but not sure how old it is. I have instructions (No parts schematic) to install the EFM so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I think it's the stock inner Hub, it was late when I got to that point last night. No chance of working on it tonight.

A friend said the same as Glen, use a pneumatic for that quick burst to break it free, I'm searching my memory banks for where the crank pinion nut is, will have to look at manual. Where is the link for updated manual again? Don't see it under "Manuals"

Thanks a bunch
Old 03-27-2007, 10:24 PM

Oh, i see the pinion nut, thanks Glenn for that tip.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 PM

Default What size is it?

I found out tonight that I need a bigger socket My biggest is 28mm. The manual nor the parts list has the size.

Does anyone know what size the clutch boss nut and the pinion nut is? I'd hate to buy more than I need right now.

Thanks, John
Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 PM

Both are 30mm, called Gofasters, he had to get the nuts out and fit them to find out. What a guy!

Thanks Gofasters
Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 AM

Default pics of basket and hub boss

Finally got a few pics of the basket and hub boss, what do all think? Should I replace?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:04 AM

Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 AM

You already have them off, but what I use to stop is put a plastic toothbrush handle end into the gears, doesn't mar anything. Hey if you could post pics of your pressure plate too that be great. Also if you could, since yours is apart measure the height of the post on the inner basket where the springs bolt on and the depth of the hole on the pressure plate where the springs seat in. I'm taking mine apart to figure out the source of my clutch woes,,
Thanks,
Steve