Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:41 AM

Default Muzzle guard on pipe

Does anyone know is it possible to get somewhere a muzzle pipe guard to EC300 '18 like on the picture?

Or I have to make it myself?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (130.8 KB, 51 views)

Old 02-23-2020, 01:42 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

those exhaust cages are common for roof of africa. Always a bit of an argument about the additional weight they add (about 4kg) but do work, but often there is a tradeoff - short story is that a 2t pipe is always going to get in the way

but yes, you will need to make it yourself (I believe it is better to make it with mild steel rather than stainless). Force makes a similar one out of aluminium, not sure if they do it for gas gas
Old 03-03-2020, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
those exhaust cages are common for roof of africa. Always a bit of an argument about the additional weight they add (about 4kg) but do work, but often there is a tradeoff - short story is that a 2t pipe is always going to get in the way

but yes, you will need to make it yourself (I believe it is better to make it with mild steel rather than stainless). Force makes a similar one out of aluminium, not sure if they do it for gas gas
Main disadvantages of aluminium pipe guard is they catch too much mud and it's gives you much more weight later. Second it's hard to wash out also, so this is a reason why I'm looking for a cage.

Why mild steel is better than stainless ?
Old 03-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I believe that stainless welds are more likely to break and mild will bend but there are people on here with better steel knowledge

I personally ran a carbon fibre guard for many years of rock riding (roof of Africa included which is where those cages were invented) and think it is a better option. Slimmer and almost as tough
Old 03-03-2020, 11:53 AM

I agree about the mud though. The Hyde guards are good mud scoops
Old 03-03-2020, 12:39 PM

If I recall SS is more brittle when compared to mild steel. Plus, mild steel is much easier, and cheaper, to work with. If you want a step up use 4130 chromoly steel. Either way, I would powder coat it or paint it and expect to make touch ups once in a while.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 03-04-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I believe that stainless welds are more likely to break and mild will bend but there are people on here with better steel knowledge

I personally ran a carbon fibre guard for many years of rock riding (roof of Africa included which is where those cages were invented) and think it is a better option. Slimmer and almost as tough
I've had a carbon guard but catch a dents under him, moreover on the left side if you hit on narrow pipe place it have a tendency to bend in stator side.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ropheo View Post
I've had a carbon guard but catch a dents under him, moreover on the left side if you hit on narrow pipe place it have a tendency to bend in stator side.
yes nothing is perfect, I had to bend the neck of the pipe back into place a few times, but with the p3 guard i only had one small dent through the guard and that was from a big hit, but the same will probably happen with the cage

The only way to get around it is to go 4t