Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Default ok ive got another dumb question...

I bought my first bike last fall, and just took it out riding the past couple of days, and i have found that snow+Warm=MUD. and lots of it. she needs a bath bad, and i would like to know just what to do with the air filter, so that i dont get water into the motor. do i take it out and put a towel down the whole? do i cover it, and if so, with what? or do i do something else? any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM

sorry, stupid internet posted it twice.... me and technology never really got along that well.....
Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Plug your exhaust, wash your bike, if you're using a high pressure washer don't get to close 24" should be good. Don't blast high pressure water into bearings steering swing arm wheel etc. Or so close to lift your decals off.
Once you have the bike nice and clean then dry out your filter box and re-re air filter.
I like to have a spare air filter clean and waiting to install once the bike is all cleaned up again.
That's just one way I'm sure others will share cleaning rituals.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I stick rags in the intake holes to the air box and try not to spray water directly at them. I also have a airbox cover that goes where the filter goes but I only use it sometimes, if I need to rinse the airbox. I never spray right at it though.

I believe in lightly cleaning my bike. It doesn't have to be spotless and your bearings will thank you for it.

As stated above, get an exhaust plug too.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM

just using a garden hose. and ive got that door on the side, should i be worried about that? im just planning to get the mud off and rinse it off, not go all out. just so that i can actually see my plastics again. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
and ive got that door on the side,
Not sure what you mean?
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM

on the left side right behind my leg. ktms dont have it and they dont have the hand holds, so the ppl that i would ride with dont have a clue what to do with it. the door just pulls out and turns aside. and i want to know how worried i should be about getting water into it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

If your air filter is sound and well oiled water will not penetrate it. (normal hose psi) not from a pressure washer. It will just roll off.
Think of riding through water some will always get splashed on the air filter.
Don't spray water directly on the filter but a little water won't hurt it.
Once things are clean and dry then change or clean and oil your filter.
If you're worried pull your filter off once everything is dry and check and see if your carb is wet. Even if some water got by the filter it can't go very far cuz your slide in our carb is closed.
Hope that helps ya.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 PM

i just hosed the mud off, got it off of everything. hyde skidplate/pipe guards get just packed with mud. but thank you very much. i just took a brush to the plastics around the air box. i haven't got the stuff for a filter clean and i dont have a replacement for it yet, that next on the things to buy list just as soon as i get some money back to my name. what all would i need for a filter clean? im green as they come, so any help would be good. like what oil would i use, and how would i clean it? Thanks!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Open the door and cover the filter with a plastic bag from the supermarket. Close the door, and stuff rags in the seat openings as eff suggested. Scrape/chip most of the mud off with a plastic scraper or other safe tool. Get some Simple Green and spray the bike down completely, its safe. Hose off and repeat on the tough spots with a wash rag and brush. Dry with compressed air, towel, and WD40. Service the filter, and remove the ignition cover overnight to dry the ignition.

As far as the airbox door goes, I'd use an M6 bolt and a clip nut instead of the dzus fastener, and tape it up before wet rides. When servicing the filter, always remove the seat to better clean the airbox and be sure the new filter is properly seated.

Skid plate foam works good to keep a lot of mud out of the Hyde.