Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Default GasGas EC 300 Racing - Spluttering

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have just purchased a new GasGas EC 300 Racing and right out of the box it has a very bad splutter when accelerating. When accelerating (With the Mapping Switch in either position) in all gears, the initial acceleration is OK (for a second of so) and then it starts to splutter and the only way to go faster is to change up a gear, but it all jerky and hit and miss. There is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust and the back end of the bike is covered in oil from the exhaust. My guess is that its running too rich. No jets or Carb settings have been touched ie. Its all at factory settings. Further information is, its Winter here and is between 0 and 10 Deg C, plus we are at 100m above sea level, so all is fairly normal.... Is it normal to receive a GasGas in such a state and, does anyone agree that its running too rich, if yes to the latter, What are likely to be the main causes? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasHungary View Post
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have just purchased a new GasGas EC 300 Racing and right out of the box it has a very bad splutter when accelerating. When accelerating (With the Mapping Switch in either position) in all gears, the initial acceleration is OK (for a second of so) and then it starts to splutter and the only way to go faster is to change up a gear, but it all jerky and hit and miss. There is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust and the back end of the bike is covered in oil from the exhaust. My guess is that its running too rich. No jets or Carb settings have been touched ie. Its all at factory settings. Further information is, its Winter here and is between 0 and 10 Deg C, plus we are at 100m above sea level, so all is fairly normal.... Is it normal to receive a GasGas in such a state and, does anyone agree that its running too rich, if yes to the latter, What are likely to be the main causes? Thanks.
If you have N1EF needle in your carb I'll suggest to try 40/ 178 (-180) jetting. We have simillar weather and about same altitude. Needle in 2"st from top.

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

And make sure the float height is set correctly.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11886

Then start working on the jetting. Once you establish what our baseline is we'll be able to help you dial it in.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Float level set, a ktm n3eg needle @3, 40 / 178
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM

All

Thank you for your responses and assistance. On Friday I will strip out the Carb and check against your feedback.

Sorry for the questions, but could you please explain

1. If you have N1EF needle in your carb - How can I tell?
2. 40/ 178 (-180) jetting - What does this mean?
3. Needle in 2"st from top - This means 2nd position from the top?

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

The needle will have a code stamped on it up the top near the clip grooves. The stock needle is N1EF. Clip positions are counted from the blunt end towards the pointy end.

The 40/178 is referring to pilot and main jets, respectively.

Do some reading on general jetting theory, youtube etc, and get a feel for how a carb comes together and apart. You'll have to pull it down in order to check all the jets and clip positions.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Hmm

New bike debris in the pilot jet?

I have had two new bikes who's floats would stick in random locations until they broke/wore in
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 AM

One possibility is debris under choke piston.

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 AM

ALWAYS flush a new tank clean and install a fuel filter before use, as there will almost always be some plastic shards present from the molding/mfg. process. Yes there are filters in the tank but they seem to come off the pick up tube (mine was bouncing around in the tank).
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Dear All

Thank you for all of your sound advice, help and explanations. This weekend I will take a look at the Carb and will report all back to you. Thank you again.