Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I've removed the name calling, and left what little of the previous couple threads had some value. No issues with us having differing opinions, but no need to resort to name calling. We're all adults here, and I think this is the first moderating I've had to do in the whole time I've spent moderating. I'm disappointed!

Speaking of opinions. I had a 2011 which was Nambo specced by the time I finished tinkering with it. I then purchased a 2013 model. The 13 definitely had a different feel, and the steering not as sharp. It felt bit heavier to lift.. but given the choice to roll either out to the trails I found myself continuing to take the 2013 racing. Ergos felt better to me, and it had much more stability at speed.

I wouldn't take another set of Marzocchi forks if you paid me to do it. Build quality is not there. Performance is good while it lasts. Ohlins TTX is nice, but the KYB gear is on par at a fraction of the price.

I second the comments regarding actual weight. I think many under estimate the trail ready weight of their bikes, and also of themselves.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:05 AM

The 12's and '13's are heavy. My '12 probably weighs about 260-270 ready to ride*.
However, it is a real war horse and keeps going pretty much no matter what. Over 380 hrs on it and only one top end and a couple suspension refreshes. (not counting a broken PFP a while back........)
I do the least amount of maintenance on this bike of any that I've ever owned.

* IMO 'ready to ride' is skid plate, rad guards/braces, proper full-wrap hand guards, full tank of fuel (stock tank) Trans full of oil, suspension ready to go, etc.
KTM advertised weights are dry weights (no oils, fuel, bearing grease etc.) and are to be ignored and they are only fantasy.
A modern KTM/Husky 250 2t 'ready to ride' is going to tip the scales at 235- 245 or so. Not as light as many think they are.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
A modern KTM/Husky 250 2t 'ready to ride' is going to tip the scales at 235- 245 or so. Not as light as many think they are.
The horse has been beat to death. It's easy to make weight savings, especially on paper! In practice you just use less materials, or more expensive lighter materials. Both tend to come at a cost.

Even on my 18 vs my 13 model I see areas they have saved weight. The clutch cover I feel like I could kick a hole in. The head has little substance to it (does it impact cooling ability, I'm not sure). The thickness of the tank is substantially reduced.

Will these impact it's lifespan? Maybe.. One thing you see with GG is that there are still a lot of people getting around on bikes over 10 years old. Some getting closer to 20.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
The horse has been beat to death. It's easy to make weight savings, especially on paper! In practice you just use less materials, or more expensive lighter materials. Both tend to come at a cost.

Even on my 18 vs my 13 model I see areas they have saved weight. The clutch cover I feel like I could kick a hole in. The head has little substance to it (does it impact cooling ability, I'm not sure). The thickness of the tank is substantially reduced.

Will these impact it's lifespan? Maybe.. One thing you see with GG is that there are still a lot of people getting around on bikes over 10 years old. Some getting closer to 20.
Expansion pipe thickness is WAY thinner on these new 18's..
I bought the HydraForce kit from the UK. And I'm glad I did.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:13 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

LOL how about 20yrs old? In our riding group, we have nine GG bikes from between 1998 and 2004. They are a little heavy, but they handle well, make great power and are stone ax reliable and extremely durable! Speaking from experience we ride, drop, crash and sometimes abuse them and they are hard to break! For my application, I would much rather trade some weight for reliability and durability.

I think we are talking about a 7% difference in weight. That might be a big difference for some light riders in some riding applications and that difference will go unnoticed for many others.