Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:11 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cool 12/48 vs 12/50 2011 EC200

I thought I'd post my impressions after switching to a 50t sprocket from the stock 48t sprocket that came on my EC200. I was looking for a some additional "grunt"; wanted to be able to loft the front easier as well as avoid going between 1st and 2nd so much on the trails.

The majority of my riding is in the tight, technical stuff we get in the coastal range of Oregon. I don't think I've been in 4th gear on a trail yet; mostly because I'm a so-so rider, but also because going that fast isn't my bag (lol). I spend plenty of time in 2nd gear with occasional bursts into 3rd if I know I won't end up at the bottom of a ravine .

Here are a couple good examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egov-D0Pa1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7uoFOB8U8g

The switch was definitely the right move for what and how I ride. There were plenty of times during my last outing that I had to keep her in 1st, but I definitely spent more time riding around in 2nd and avoided the ever-so-annoying neutral hit that seems to plague me. My nuts definitely appreciated the absence of that immediate lack of forward momentum thereby vaulting everything into the tank/steering head/etc

I'm still learning how to ride her compared to my old 300, the sprocket change is easing the transition. I still need to get better at lofting the front when there's a log in the way, but that's end user error.

Oh yeah - anyone know what the size is on the goofy sprocket nuts? I just about rounded one of 'em off trying to switch sprockets. It's not 12mm and it's not 13mm - at least according to what my wrenches were doing.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

No idea re sprocket nuts. If it wasn't metric I'd be trying imperial

Glad to hear the bigger rear has shifted the power back where you want it. I'm looking forward to doing the same thing on my 250 in the next week or so.

In regard to getting the front up, find somewhere with a little space and just practice cruising around walking pace in 1st or 2nd and using the clutch to lift the front end up off the pipe. Then when you're on rides should be able to do the same thing on transport sections in 4th and 5th when just cruising along off the pipe. Practice makes perfect and then when in the nasty stuff at pace the flick of the wrist will be second nature.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post

Oh yeah - anyone know what the size is on the goofy sprocket nuts? I just about rounded one of 'em off trying to switch sprockets. It's not 12mm and it's not 13mm - at least according to what my wrenches were doing.
I ran a 50t on my 200, and it was much better than the stock 48. Just bringing the gears a bit closer together, and overall lower. Meant 1st was almost never used.
I had a supersprox stealth, so it never wore out while I had it, but would have been interested in trying a 51.

For reference, I run a 52 on my KTM 250exc for the same reasons. Only use 1st when starting off in the morning.

Also, maybe the're 1/2 inch (12.7mm in normal speak), I replaced mine with Talon sprocket bolts fairly early on.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Also, maybe the're 1/2 inch (12.7mm in normal speak), I replaced mine with Talon sprocket bolts fairly early on.
Ahh, I bet that's spot on - though why the heck have a 5mm allen head bolt with a 1/2" nut...goofy.

My guess is I'll be replacing the bolts if/when I wear this sprocket out. End user error too; the only standard wrenches I have aren't open ended and there was no way to get a socket fed through with the spokes...lol.

Jakobi - I definitely plan on practicing the clutch-up wheelies; need to get better doing that