Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Default Sachs

I was talking with the guy who does my suspension.He was saying the sachs stuff he has worked on was not made very well made,cheap was the term he used.Anyone else have similar findings.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM

My 2009 EC250 was very harsh up front despite fiddling, that was until I sent it to Dr.SHOX in the UK. It's been a changed bike since, pity my abilities haven't kept up!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM

i recently rode a 2010 gasser and the forks were deffently not as good a the marz 50mm or 45mm. just seemed very harsh nearly flipped me over bars on first big bump haha. Dont have any complaints about the shocks though.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM

I have yet to ride any thing with the sachs stuff Love my 07 with marz and ohlins. Just was wondering on quailty of the sachs products .
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM

Default Sachs Stack Definitely Unusual

I've been working on a set-up for Sachs forks after discovering that they use man-hole covers in the compression stack ... well not really, but darned close.
By the time its warm enough to ride in Michigan I should have a very workable tune that will put the Sachs on the same level as an open chamber KYB.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

It's a old design and some componants could be made better.
The fork is a copy of the marz 45...or very simular and can be made to work well if it's sprung and valved right.
IMHO their stuff is over damped and under sprung, just like jap bikes have been for the past 10-20 years.
I converted my shock to a bladder type, went to a 5.4 spring, softened up the compression valving mainly the mid and h/s portion of the stack and stiffened up the rebound stack.
I added a bleed port to the rear of the shock so that I could use my vac pump to bleed the shock and set the correct oil volume.
I valved and sprung the forks the same along with a mid valve adjustment and lowering the oil level.
I now love the way the bike works, it's very plush over roots and rocks... I could use a little more h/s rebound in the fork..I'll take care of that next oil change.
What I don't like about the sach fork is it's not as easy to remove the cart rod like the marz.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Les at LT-Racing (a sponsor here) has a good setup for the Sachs now. He does have to re-work the internals more than the average fork - so labor is higher than usual...

Here is a little info on the fork on his website :

http://www.lt-racing.com/html/sachs_48_fork.html

I asked him about the general quality of the fork - metal, bushings, etc. The quality of construction is good - the design details and valving need re-work to straighten it out. See the link above for more details.

jeff
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 AM

Good info but got me thinking why I would want to buy a new bike that will need what sounds like a lot of $ and tuning to get to work as good as my 07 ec 250. Maybe new plastic and new piston for this yr.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM

Why is Gasgas going backwards wtih fork quality? The 45 zoke is marginal as it is and the sachs is worse? Husky finally ditched them for the 50mm zoke and now the KYB which has the reputation as the best fork out. Gasgas has, or at least had, a reputation for great suspesnsion so I would think they would step it up. Just curious as I am looking into a new bike this year and am considering a Gasgas if a decent tank is not out for the Husky 125.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator

To answer the original question - the quality of the sachs fork is good - the execution needs work.

We have the 50mm zokes on the the husky 510 and 45mm zokes on my "trail bike" - a honda xr250 that also has an ohlins rear shock. Both these forks are very, very good when set up properly. I would rather have either of these forks over the KYB.

jeff