Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Default power valve ball retainer thingy

How exactly does this thing work?? I got the rattling noise at a steady pace on road sections thing going on ... so I pull the side case to take a look. The ball retainer thing spins freely and all the balls are "inside" around the shaft. I'm thinking that when shaft spins the balls move to the outside and this makes the plate push against the spring which moves the actuator etc etc. Nothing looks like it is hung up or out of shape so I put the side case back on. Now I'm thinking maybe the balls belong on the outside edge of the retainer one in each of those half moon indent things.

Is this the case?? (damn I hope not!!)

If it is the case whats the trick to getting them back into the indents? Can you do it with out taking that whole unit off the bike. Just pull the retainer cover off?? Leave the retainer cover in place and jigger them back into place using a screw driver and gravity??

Word??

Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 AM

I don't know the answer as I've never looked at mine but when you find out make sure you know why/how they're not where they're supposed to be or it might be a short lived fix!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM

I just went 3 rounds with what sounds like the same problem. Rattle noise from the engine when you're not on or off the throttle - steady pace. Since I noticed the rattle I've raced twice and made several trips the the forest for 2-3 hour rides - I've seen no ill effects.

The balls ride in the grooves and it looked to me like they get forced out to the edge the faster the retainer spins - this is what actuates the power valve. I got curious and pushed on the bearing cage, pulled the little retainer pin out and all the balls were just sitting in the retainer cup...to get them back where they belong, I put a tiny dab of grease in each of the races in the cage to hold the balls in place and put it all back together.

I added some pre-load to the actuator arm (more than I thought I should have) and the flutter mostly stopped (not completely) - now when I chop the throttle it sounds like the PV snaps closed. Setting the pre-load was easy, but figuring out the "proper amount" was something I couldn't do, so I guesstimated.

Few others here have posted about this problem recently - I'm sure if they run across this thread they'll chime in as well.
1999 GasGas TXT270
AMA (www.ama-cycle.org)
TRH (www.trh-cycle.org)
MSRA (www.msra-cycle.org)

I may not be able to tell you who you SHOULD buy from, but I can definitely tell you who you SHOULD NOT buy from.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM

The balls must sit in the ramp grooves, and they move out by centrifugal force as RPM increases, expanding the governer asay against the spring in toward the center case, and moving the linkage and PV. If a ball is out of place, the governer (and PV) will be jammed from closing completely. The eaisiest way to screw this up is to pull on the PV rod, which will move the governer manually without the engine running, and no force to hold the balls to the outside in the ramps, so they will fall out of place. If you did not do this, did not attempt an adjustment, and your PV plate returns to or very close to the stop bolt head, this is likely OK.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Glen My last ride I got the loose nuts rattling around the cylinder head sound at steady road speeds. I pulled the pipe and pv side cover to see if soemthign was loose. I was thinking one of the linkage nuts may have come loose. Everything looked fine. I operated the linkage by hand while looking up exhuast port etc etc. I then heard the distinct sound of ball bearings "tinkling" against metal. "oh, oh, I think I just dislodged those balls" I pulled the side case. The ball retainer thing spins freely. the balls all appear to be around the shaft but i can see'em. I made an an attempt to remove the retainer cover. I got the little pin out but the cover did not want to slide all the way off the shaft. I did not force it. Put the pin back in place. with the the side case cover off I again operated the actuator etc looking for something loose. Nothing looked out of shape so I covered it all up again. The pv seems to work the way it is suppose too. The traingle piece of metal rests against the stop bolt head like it is suppose to. Do you suppose with all the futzing I did with the ball retainer cover the balls could still be in the proper place?? Could the tinkling have been the balls falling back into proper position, possibly being in the wrong place before I started messing with it??

I gotta think all my futzing about got those balls into the wrong place ....
Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Take it apart again and get it right, odds are its screwed up. Once your sure the governer is OK, then you can check/adjust the play out of the system with a little preload as previously discussed.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM

couple of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 b.jpg (109.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 003 a.jpg (81.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Hi search for [power valve rattle not chain slap ] will answer it for you as you will see the noise is in the middle flap of the power valve in side the header pipe flange move it from side to side will make the noise you bike is making thanks andrew